Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Info from SW Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWISGR8

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2005
US
Is there a way to get info from SW files with Access/Excel/VB/PDM Works/etc or an application that can be bought to access info.

Basically looking at "automating" the process of getting part numbers (drawings) and their matl requirements, etc into the procurement system and making it a more seamless task.

Thanks for the input,
Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on how much $ you want to spend...
First check out the solidworks site under partners, gold partners. This will allow you to review several vendors with integrated solutions.
After that, a simple google or ixquick search with solidworks and erp will show you them and other lower cost solutions.

TTraser
Engineer (LSD)

Thanks for the response.

I take it that means that, to your knowledge, there is no way to do any "home cookin'" with Access/Excel/VB/PDM Works/etc ?

Thanks again,
Mike

Sure there are lots of ways to "home cook". One is to put this information as custom properties in you models, create a BOM of your assembly with this information in the columns and export the file.

That's pretty much what I do now, but with all the power of SW I it seems kind of klunky. I was hoping I could automate it more. Not even entirely sure what I would like to do, that kind of depends on what, if anything, could be accessed and in what way.

Thanks for the input

Check out DSOfile. It is a DLL from Microsoft that lets you access file properties from Visual Basic. It is not specific to SolidWorks, but works with SolidWorks files.

A previous thread related to DSOfile is: thread559-151211.

Eric

Great ... looks like the kind of info for me; enough to be dangerous. I'll se how much I can mess up in my files.

Thanks all for the input,
Mike

As I said there are many ways to "home cook" a solution. DSOfile only works for non-configuration information that is stored in the custom tab. SolidWorks offers another program to get to the configuration specific information but I do not have that information handy right now (you can always write to API help to get this). Another method, is to traverse the assembly to get the subpart information. There are several examples in API help that should you how to do some of this.

Could you explain just how automated you would like to get?

SA

Good to know. Not entirely sure yet on teh level of automation. I am fairly new at my company and the MRP and internal logistic procedures are still being developed, so I am not sure how all that is going to end up and how SW can be best integrated. I just hate wasting all the potential productivity that SW has waiting to be tapped. Sorry I cant be more specific. I'm just trying to get up to speed with the inner workings of working with SW data so that I have that toolset and can use it when we have a better direction.

Thanks for the help, i'll check out the info you ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back