Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Getting PE as a US immigrant 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiMace

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2006
Hi there,

Does anyone know if you can credit experience under a foreign PE to the US EIT/PE process?

Reading the similar links, it sounds pretty hopeless but just wanted to ask the question.

I'm a recent immigrant to the US, who's had sufficient time in a couple of countries to get PE accredited in each, but is getting buried under the process in the USA.

It looks like if I really want this to happen, I'll have to quit my job just to accrue the time under a PE. I'm in the catch-22 situation of being at the stage of my career where I seem to need a PE to get a consulting job, but not being able to get one without working for a consulting firm.

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Each state has their own individual rules for getting a PE, although they are mostly quite similar. I would suggest a phone call or a direct visit to your state's Engineering Board office and sit down with them to go over the exact requirements.

The Canadian rule is that one of the four years experience requirement be in North America.

I don’t know what the US state requirements are but would not be surprised if they had something similar. I know that most of them accept Canadian experience.

Best to call your local board and ask them.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

As far as I know, you CAN credit foreign experience towards a US PE license. At least I've not seen anything that says you can't. The situation that would more often come up would be a foreign PE wanting licensure in the US. They don't require you to move to the US and work four years before you can get a license.

The first step is to contact the people at your state board and discuss the situation with them.

Foreign diplomas may have to be evaluated- but that can be done.

It will help if any references in the foreign country can read and write English. I'm assuming also that you still have contacts there and are on good terms with them.

Check out the Washington Accord (google Engineering Washington Accord). It spells out alot of the requirements for various jurisdictions.

Be aware though even though some of that State bodies have signed up to the agreement they will not necesarily HONOUR that commitment without a fight. (Long story)

Depends on how bad you want or need the PE. You might just want to shop state by state if that works for you. Some are pretty easy.

To the best of my knowledge, in most cases, foreign work experience counts if done under the supervision of an engineer licensed in the US. In some instances a state board will accept the foreign work experience if an engineer licensed in the US is familiar with your work and can vouch for the experience..even if you were not supervised by the individual.

Some state requirements are not as stringent as others. Therefore, it would not hurt to shop around as recommended by planedr. However, one thing you must remember, is that if you obtain a PE from a state with relatively lax work experience requirements and later on want to obtain a PE in a state with more stringent rules through the reciprocity process, you may not be considered qualified by the latter state until you satisfy their work experience requirements.

As far as I know, the Washington Accord only rates schools as being the equal to a US accredited undergraduate degree.

Don;t ask us, ask your local board.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

The problem isn't the work experience itself, but that it needs to be under the supervision of someone the board considers to be equivalent to a US licensed PE. So you'd not just have to demonstrate that your work was engineering work, but also convince them of the qualifications of your supervisors.

But like everyone else says, ask your state board.

Hg

PPI is the leading publisher of PE exam review materials. Their website is an invaluable resource for people interested in becoming licensed.

Here is a link to a number of FAQs:

These include, "How Does a Non-US Engineer Obtain US Licensure?"

And a listing of and links to all the state boards, as well as pertinent information:

Rob

Rob Campbell, PE
Finite Monkeys -

On a related note, the NCEES records program is about the closest thing to uniform licensure in the US. Check it out if you think you'd be interested in becoming licensed in multiple states:

Most states will allow you to practice within their borders for a brief period of time each year, on the basis of another state's license. The rules in each state are differnt, however. This is the place to start learning about them:

Rob Campbell, PE
Finite Monkeys -

I haven't counted, but I think the majority of states probably don't have temporary licensing provisions. As for the NCEES Council Record Book program, you do that after you have your first PE registration in the US, it's a moot issue until then. It is definitely worthwhile when getting multiple licenses, though.

In looking through the Texas rules, I don't see that they specifically require a PE from the US or from TX to be the supervisor. They require a licensed person, and give provisions for if it is from another jurisdiction, but leave it open as to what the jurisdiction is.

I notice also in the TX rules, they have some specific language related to Mexico, Canada, and the NAFTA. IE, it makes some difference, apparently, as to which country you are from- easier to get licensed in Mexico and Canada, apparently.

Sorry my mistake I had not realised he is only bogged down in the "Experience" portion of the PE. The Washington Accord is the first place to start to see if you even qualify without a fight.

"I notice also in the TX rules, they have some specific language related to Mexico, Canada, and the NAFTA. IE, it makes some difference, apparently, as to which country you are from- easier to get licensed in Mexico and Canada, apparently."

TX is a signatory of a reciprocity agreement with the various groups in Canada. However they reserve the right to refuse a Canadian PEng practice rights in Texas if he doesn't meet the Texas requirements. Even though they say they accept the Canadian PEng as equivalent.

I haven't fought the fight yet and I probably won't. I have joined enough "old boys clubs" already. My practice is unaffected regardless.

Apply to the State you need and slog through it. My experience has been it is not just the state but the person handling your file and THEIR interpretation.

planedr, I haven't run into much of an "old boys club" in the states I'm registered it- typically, there's enough people registered that nobody there knows you anyway. The less populated states, where you would think this would be more of an issue, actually seem to be more cooperative on getting the licenses.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. My home country (New Zealand) is on the accord, so thats a good start. My experience has been in NZ and Singapore, so no US PE's to speak of.

My first step will be to call my Ohio Board and get some info to compare to say, KY and IN rules.

I also found some good reading about APEC registration which, if this is being kindly regarded at all, might be a good alternative.

I think that you will find that every state board will be independent and refuse to honour any agreement of international registration that does not comply with the state rules.

They most likely will not consider any applicant who does not have the PE and FE exams plus US engineers signing off on their work if that is what their rules state and any free trade or other agreement would not be even looked at.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

RDK wrote:

I think that you will find that every state board will be independent and refuse to honour any agreement of international registration that does not comply with the state rules.

They most likely will not consider any applicant who does not have the PE and FE exams plus US engineers signing off on their work if that is what their rules state and any free trade or other agreement would not be even looked at.

Good grief (cf.
Here is the link to Ohio's qualifications:

ABET ( grants accredidation to US engineering schools and is the US body involved in the Washington Accord ( If the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand granted accredidation to the college you graduated from, ABET will recognize that accredidation. This means that you only need to have four years of qualifying experience.

The reference requirement says:

shall contain not less than five references, of whom three or more shall be professional engineers or professional surveyors having personal knowledge of the applicant’s engineering or surveying experience.

Finding three references who are PEs is a hurdle for many US-based engineers. Licensure is not required for most engineering work, and it provides little benefit for those involved in that work, so few pursue it. The conventional wisdom is to submit at least the minimum number of references - all technical - including as many PEs as you know. The board will consider the application and probably accept it. In your case, I would call the board and explain your situation. They are reasonable people.

You will probably need to take the FE exam, followed by the PE exam. In some states, more experience can be substituted for the FE exam. Both are administered by NCEES ( This link includes general information on licensure, as well as a note about foreign engineers:

The exams are offered in April and October, so I'd look into taking the FE exam imediately. They are not trivial. I spent months on serious preparation and am sure I would have failed without it. Check other threads in these forums for study suggestions.

Good luck with the process and the tests.

Rob Campbell, PE
Finite Monkeys -

The title of your post is "Getting PE as a US immigrant". If that means you are or will be residing in the US, it will obviously simplify the logistics.

If you haven't already, find out if you even need to be licensed for the type of work you intend to do. Typically, only work that affects the public safety, such as common types of civil and structural engineering work, require a license.

Rob Campbell, PE
Finite Monkeys -

Actually there is a reciprocity agreement between the STATE of Texas PE Society and the Board I am completing my registration with. That is what I am talking about. I work under industry exemptions so I don't need it. I just thought I would register because I Qualified based on the agreement.

With a tinge of critism I am finding it is not the first agreement that a US jurisdiction honours as it sees fit and not per the terms of the agreement. Although every agreement is open to some interpretation.

Just my perspective is all. My PEng is recognized by my peers and companies I work for sod the Texas Society.

I think the whole system is messed up in both Canada and more so in the US, and that it is not serving the best interests of public safety. But what do I know.

I have applied for the EIT/FE exam, unfortunately just missing the april deadline, so plenty of time for October cram session :) I've done some reading and am pretty well convinced that i'll be going through the long haul.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post back at some future point with an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back