Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Getting PE as a US immigrant 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiMace

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2006
Hi there,

Does anyone know if you can credit experience under a foreign PE to the US EIT/PE process?

Reading the similar links, it sounds pretty hopeless but just wanted to ask the question.

I'm a recent immigrant to the US, who's had sufficient time in a couple of countries to get PE accredited in each, but is getting buried under the process in the USA.

It looks like if I really want this to happen, I'll have to quit my job just to accrue the time under a PE. I'm in the catch-22 situation of being at the stage of my career where I seem to need a PE to get a consulting job, but not being able to get one without working for a consulting firm.

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CinciMace, you may not need to go through the exams if your degree fits the requirements.

The Washington Accord that has previously been referred to applies only to recognition of degrees from signatory countries with effect from the date that country signed up. In the case of New Zealand, that was 1989. If your degree is after that date, then the Accord covers you and ABET accepts the direct equivalency of your BS degree to that in the US. In that case, you would go through the FE and PE exams process just like anybody else from the US, without needing to have your undergraduate curriculum vetted or further evaluated. (You may print out and submit with your application relevant material from the Washington Accord site:
If your degree predates 1989, the Accord doesn't exactly apply to you because I am not aware of any grandfathering provision ...... except that if, in addition, you are licensed with the Institution of Professional Engineers (NZ), you may benefit from the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) of the Engineers Mobility Forum (EMF). This is an agreement to recognize licensures from signatory countries. See
for the full memorandum.

If you qualify to take advantage of the EMF provisions above, I suggest you first call the Ohio PE office and ask if you can claim the MOU. Unfortunately, they may not know what you are talking about, as indeed many such offices across the country. You may need to print out and send them the above memorandum. Otherwise, you may need to call the ABET office to clarify ( or 410-347-7700).

You may be interested in reading the following two papers:

ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. Vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 26-30. Jan. 1996
&
Proceedings Paper # 0545, ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition (Theme: "Staying in Tune with Engineering Education"); Nashville, TN; 22-25 June 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back