Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting power from transmision lines electromagnetic field 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronzeado

Electrical
Jan 6, 2008
BR
Hi folks,

In developing countries, corridor of transmission lines run nearby small villages with no electricity. This seems to be very unfair to people from those villages.

There is an ideia of getting power (1-2kW) from the electromagnetis field of the transmission lines to feed those village. I wonder if somebody has information on this kind of development.

Best regards,

Herivelto Bronzeado

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm thinking that deriving power for a microwave station is made simpler because it's a fairly constant load, unlike the load expected for a small community. This would make regulation less of a problem.

Perhaps the same scheme could be used for small varying loads by using the trapped power (constant) from the power line to maintain a stored energy system such as a battery bank.

It's an interesting problem.

old field guy

My suggestion is that there is a lot of organizations that have solutions for "electricity for poor rural areas". You might put that in your google and see where it goes. This same solution has happened here in the USA back in the 30's and 40's and here we are talking about the same thing. To me do not reinvent the wheel but look at what other countries have tried and see what works best. There is a lot of history in this topic, do not ignore what was done in the past.

Its been studied alot around the globe. Have you taken the time to look at these organizations that have looked at different viewpoints on providing power in rural areas.

Thanks Controlsdude for your sugestion.

That is exactly what we am trying to do: "do not reinvent the wheel but look at what other countries have tried and see what works best".

This forum is for that, I think.

Best regards,

Herivelto Bronzeado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back