Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting rid of a link 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEB66

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
I inheirited an excell file that has a link to a non existant file. I have talked to the author and this link is no longer needed. But I cannot find the cell with the referenced file.

I have ran edit-find on every woork shhet and that reference is simply not found.

How do I delete this link that is not in any cell?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the edit links do not give you a delete option since this is a link to a file, workbook.

I believe that it was left in the numerous charts because I got errors from the link cowski gavce me on every chart there. These charts have data in have a series 1 and a series 3 but no series 2. I think it is some left over crap from the numerous iteration these files have gone through.

It would be very nice if I could simply, from the tool bar, click on the link and then delete it. any thoughts?

I had that problem before. I just opened the FIND (Ctrl+F) and looked for .xls
Because my link was to other Excel Spreadsheet.
But I wanted to say I have one spreadsheet which I "sterlized" it with that method and again shows a message that there is an external link. I search for that and finally found that just a bug in such "externally linked Excel files" can be exist.

Many times the link is caused by a defined name which points to an external worksheet. Go through the names in your workbook - manually (Ctrl-F3) or by code - and look for an external reference. Here is some example code I wrote:
Code:
Sub ReplaceExternalReference()
Dim s As Worksheet, c As Range, D As Name
Dim Links As Variant, l As Variant
Dim i As Integer, n As Integer, Lref As String
Dim ncell As Integer, nname As Integer
Const SepChar As String * 1 = "\"

ncell = 0
    nname = 0
    Links = ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)
    If IsEmpty(Links) Then Exit Sub
    Debug.Print
    For Each l In Links
        Debug.Print "Checking: ", l
        'First remove path info from link
        i = 1
        Do While i <> 0
            n = i
            i = InStr(i + 1, l, SepChar)
        Loop
        Lref = Mid(l, n + 1)
        'find link in cell formula and format conditions
        For Each s In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
            Set c = s.UsedRange.Find(Lref)
            If Not (c Is Nothing) Then          'found link ?
                Debug.Print s.Name, c.Address   'then print location
                c.Formula = c.Value             'and replace ref with cell value
                ncell = ncell + 1
            End If
        Next s
        'find link in names collection
        For Each D In ActiveWorkbook.Names
                    If InStr(1, D.RefersTo, Lref) Then    'found link ?
                        Debug.Print D.Name, D.RefersTo    'then print location
                        D.Delete                          'and delete the name
                        nname = nname + 1
                    End If
        Next D
    Next l
    Debug.Print "--- Ready ---"
    MsgBox ncell & " cell formulas replaced and " & nname & " names deleted."
End Sub

Cheers,
Joerd

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I have done the ctrl+F one every page. the reference is simply not there. I looked at every chart it is not there. But in the <edit> <Links> it is there.

I do not think it is doing anything, buecause nothing is wrong when I hit cancle.

I guess I am worring about nothing, but I would like it gone.

So did you look at the defined names?

Cheers,
Joerd

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

if you know which cells have a link, you can move the cursor on it using arrows (if you use mouse, you will open the link) and once on cell, hit ctrl+k. In the dialog box, click "Supress link" or something like this button (dunno for english version of Excel)

Cyril Guichard
Mechanical Engineer Consultant
France

The addin does find the link. But it is in a chart, actually all 32 charts. It does not delete the link only gives an error.

The link is from the original creator and after modifying the file, he quit using that link. But now I own this and I do not have the file.

So now I am stuck with this undeletable link in these charts. As a work around, I just created an empty excell file with that name.

JEB66,

I have had similar problems, and if I am understanding your situation properly, trying the following could help.

One way to search for all external links is to go to Edit, Find, click on the options button, select within workbook, by rows, and look in formulas. In the find what space, type in the left bracket located above the enter key. Click find all. Then if there is anything to display, it will display the cells in that workbook that have external links. Looking in the Formula column, scroll down until you see an entry. Check what sheet this entry is on and delete the cell or change the calculation being performed in that cell.

Regards,
Fred

the links to the 32 charts, what specifically is the link to (i.e. chart data, text, etc.)? do the charts correctly display the data?

have you tried changing the link source to the name of opened file (i.e. Edit => Links =>Change Source)? for example, the filename with 32 charts is "32charts.xls". go through the process of changing the source link to "32charts.xls".

the charts are "looking" for the data on another file. simply change the source link file to the same filename. this may impact the display of data or other information placed on the chart. hence, the question as to what is the specific link for?

good luck!
-pmover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back