Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting snap/dialog/default settings to "stick"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonJackson

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2014
US
I could use some guidance in understanding how NX handles "default settings" from command to command.

Let's start with snap settings: often times I start a command, choose the snap I want, complete the command, and when I run it a second time I have to reselect the snaps I want again. What determines these defaults and how do I get them to stick? It also seems that snaps gravitate to certain functions, for instance my initial snap setting when drawing curves will be different than my initial snap settings in when in modeling. This is fine, however I would still like to understand how each of these areas are defined in order to have better control overall.

When it comes to commands, what determines the initial values populated in the dialog box? Sometimes they stick, sometimes they don't! What can I do workflow wise to impact this, why is it so seemingly erratic?

I know there is something I am missing here...hopefully someone can shed some light on it. I have searched quite a bit and am having no luck. Simple NX Application Programming (SNAP), the most ambiguous CAD API element name ever, has been a detriment to searching as well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NX has something called dialogue memory, which remembers all the important values you input into a command if you apply the command, for example extrude distances, and also selection options you use e.g. snaps or curve rule settings.

This is so you can easily repeat using the command.

There is a reset button at the top of the dialogues to restore the defaults, which I recommend pressing if you haven't used a command for a while.

There is also a customer default for dialogue memory to be retained or not at the end of a session.

NX 8.5 with TC 8.3

Also, if you can modify your Customer Defaults, you can set the default value for some things. Some examples are the initial radius value for an Edge Blend or size for a Chamfer.

Mike

What version of NX are you running?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

We are currently running the latest deployment of NX 9.

After playing around more, and resetting my dialog boxes, it seems to have become more consistent, but not perfect. Is there any sort of disparity in how OK vs APPLY affects this when completing a command?

I think the snap thing bothers me the most because I find myself having to define snaps more more than other softwares Ive used in the past (although I've been on NX for almost 3 years now). The snaps being specific to command dialogs, and lacking in related hotkeys, increases this divide. I was glad to see hotkeys for sketch snaps shown when referencing the docs, however was unable to find hotkeys for snaps in modeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back