Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Started in Tower Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural
May 31, 2005
US
I recently went back to grad school and have a little more freedom to study topics of interest. For a long time, I've been interested in communications tower design. You know -- those heinously tall ones. My background is in building design and I have no idea where to start. I would appreciate it very much if somebody could give me a brief list of the key manuals and standards that must be used for these designs.

Are different manuals and standards used for the latticed medium-to-tall towers?

Thank you very much.
DBD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the design std of Highway and Transportation (American, but I forget the code #). I used that for microwave tower designs (long time ago). If it's for study you can refer to Canadian code CAN/CSA S37.

I would strongly recommend to read the following standards to start with.
AS3995-1194; Australian Standard
BS8100 [Part 1 and 4 mainly]; British standards
ANSI EIA/TIA-222-F-1996 [I am not if 222G has been issued yet]

Also, MSTOWER program, WEISMAN - Guymast programs for analysis and design of towers and masts.

Best of luck.

AM

Thank you all very much for your replies! I know where to start reading now.

DBD

You and me have the same problem. I decided to go back to school recently, after 15 years! I have always loved trusses - probably because they were always easy to solve. HOwever, towers are a different ball game - you need a hell of a lot of guts to take on the design of one of those, let alone modelling using FEA. I think I'll have fun though, if I can complete it on time!

Regards,

Audu

as tall as you'd like to design them...

this is the most widely used commercial tower analysis software, hands down, base upon TIA-EIA & ASCE-7. Check out the demo version. I use to design for Crown Castle and this is the only software they accept. If you want to design power line towers then the above is best. But what's even better than designing them is climbing them. Now thats what I call structural engineering at its best.

Re: c-concepts = ERI tower
Nice manual and 30 day trial IF you have a password BUT
their phone seems to be disconnected :( .

Check out RISA.com

It seems that RISA has something to do with c-concepts/ERI Tower now.

Regards,
-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back