Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting started with abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlaloc92

Mechanical
Jun 14, 2023
MX
I have a doubt about a simulation that I performed in abaqus. This model is a circular plate which is being pulled out by a bolt with a force of 100tonf, however I am not sure about the definition of the load. Looking at the load module, I have figured out that exists 2 ways to configure this force. The first one is with a surface traction along the hole where the bolt must be in, the second one is applying a pressure in the center of the plate where the hole drill will take place. Thanks in advance
Plato_2_jgn8j0.jpg
Plato_1_juwyvh.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are several ways to model bolted joints but if you don’t want to model the bolt itself (even as just 3 cylinders representing the head, shank and nut) then you can apply the load directly to the hole.

The actual load distribution due to the presence of the bolt is more complex and theoretically you should mimic something like a bearing load. You could also use a coupling constraint to apply the load. Proper surface partitions around the hole might be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back