Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Getting Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT330

Computer
Oct 28, 2009
US
Struggling with simple things like drawing, trimming, moving. Bit of an old dog when it comes to AutoCAD but as I work through the tutorials I find I need very basic skills training. For example, I can easily do a full radius in AutoCAD 2D but I am having trouble doing it in Inventor's sketch mode. Things too like constraining the corner of a rectangle to a coordinate. Where are these basics documented? Need Inventor for Dummies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are thinking about it like an AutoCAD user, not a parametric modeler. You don't constrain to coordinates, rather draw then dimension.

I don't believe you need professional training if you have a desire to master the program. JDs site mcgyvr mentioned is good. Check out these as well:

There are heaps more sites around if you have a look. If you are a subscription member you can download the white papers from AU for the last few years. Or you can find them on the respective authors sites.

There are some good books around too but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone I teach. Tutorials, tips & tricks, skill builders and white papers, are more direct learning tools. I think you will find them more practical for design application.

If you still decide you want formal training, don't go to one of your VARs courses, they are a waste of time and money. Get an expert in to tailor the training to the work you do.

Hope it helps.

Thank you. I've been retraining my brain to think like a "parametric modeler". This has been my struggle but I am finding it easier. Appreciate your references and advice about training.

I used AutoCAD doing 3D for years before switching to IV. There are differences of course but the parametric part is great and the fact that all your detail drawings change automatically is a Godsend come plotting time and keeping everything up to date including the BOMs. Which brings up other issues I won't go into...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back