Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting the right density on soccer fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

springbranch

Structural
Jul 29, 2007
US
Specs call for 95% compaction. Fill material contractor will be using has PI of 40. The soccer fields located in greater Houston area.

Is it possible to accomplish required density?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. PI=40, that is very high plasticity soils. My first suggestion would be to verify with the geotech engineers regarding the soil composition that can be used as fill material. (I.e. plasticity indices range, and what moisture condition range of optimum the contractor should adhere too)
2. The 95% density can be achieved for any type of soil. Basically, initially a standard proctor test (SPT) is performed in the lab to determine the maximum density of a particular type of soil. Then in the field, soils of similar composition are required to meet at least 95% of the maximum density as determined by the SPT.
3. So if you guys have performed a SPT, verify the soil composition of the soil that was tested in the lab is similar to what will be used in the field by the contractor.
4. If the answer to remark #3 is yes. Then you will be able to reach 95% maximum density if the contractors are using adequate compaction methods. If not consult with the geotech engineers of record for suggestions.

P.S. This is just me talking out of my ass (I have no experience designing a soccer field, but I play soccer a lot). Try to get soils with plasticity indices in the moderate range (P.I. 20 to 30). Otherwise, overtime the differential settlement over the large area due the shrink/swell potential of the highly plastic soils may lead to undesirable field condition (i.e. uneven field elevation).

I believe that out in the northwest, they use sand playing fields rather than clayey - along with closely spaced drain pipes.

Fill density is fine at 95% using clay with PI=40 at optimum moisture to a foot below finish. Then use a topsoil loam (@ 85%)and subsoil gravel drainage layer (@ 90%) with perforated pipes like suggested by kooko to assure usable field soon after a rain.

Soil investigation indicates that soil at the site is silty clay with PI of 40.
Blueprints do not call for perforated pipes embedded in gravel layer.
In order to give right slope, at the middle of the soccer field, grade has to be raised by 3 feet.
Contractor want to utilize excavated onsite soil with high PI as mentioned above as fill material.
I am missing the "Fill material" chapter in the spec book so I do not have the creteria yet.
However before talking to consultant, I want to get some "heads up" from you all.
The question I am having is that "Can the soccer fields be filled with onsite material".

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back