Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Giants-Cowboys power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess is it was the maintenance crew at the New Meadowlands Stadium attempting to sway the game in favor of the Giants and blame it on the utility company.. LOL.

A friend who owns a NETA firm in NJ is on site as we speak. I spoke with him this morning and he has promised to call me later with details. If appropriate, I will share.

uimmy Hoffa's corpse was under the main panel and the cavity it created from decaying finally collapsed because of the new additions to the switchgear, causing a dead short in the bus feeder...

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

dpmac, any news on this?

EAST RUTHERFORD — A failsafe that works like a household circuit breaker is to blame for a brief blackout that plunged 81,000 spectators into darkness during Sunday’s Giants-Cowboys game, a sports complex official said Monday.

The device, which was attached to a transformer about 1,600 feet from New Meadowlands Stadium, cut power to Sunday’s nationally televised contest when it tripped for reasons that are still unknown, said John Samerjan, a spokesman for the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which runs the complex.

Engineers spent Monday attempting to determine how much power the stadium was using when the lights went out and why the transformer tripped when it did, Samerjan said.

A spokeswoman for PSE&G, the utility that supplies electricity to the area, said its systems did not experience any problems that would have interrupted power delivery to the stadium.

The five-second blackout, the second outage of the third quarter, gave fans a moment to remember and witty sports writers a fresh lexicon to describe the Giants lack of power during their 33-20 defeat to underdog Dallas.

Several banks of lights went out atop the stadium about 6 p.m., just 10 seconds into second half. The game was delayed for about three minutes before play resumed in slightly dimmer conditions.

About 15 minutes later, with the Giants on offense, the entire stadium went dark. Many grabbed their cameras as evidenced by the YouTube videos and the flickering of flash bulbs that filled the stands. Others, including players, were spooked.

“I just ran for the bench just to sit down and put my helmet on because you never know what’s going to go on in that situation,” Giants defensive tackle Barry Cofield said. “But it seemed like everything went wrong today.”

There were no reports of injuries or mischief resulting from the blackout, except for a fight that broke out during the eight minutes it took for the lights to resume full power.

The troublesome transformer is not part of the months-old $1.6 billion stadium, but a substation that is owned by the sports authority and is responsible for providing power to the entire complex. It’s located on the backstretch of the Meadowlands Racetrack, on the side of the complex that hugs Paterson Plank Road, he said.

As spectators scratched their heads at the light show, workers for the complex manned the substation to manually redirect the power supply into backup equipment. The authority provides the power as part of its lease agreement with New Meadowlands Stadium, Samerjan said. In other words, the rent includes electricity.

Samerjan said staff engineers plan to have the substation ready for Sunday, when the Jets are home for a 1 p.m. kick-off against the Houston Texans. The Giants will be away in Philadelphia.

“It’s completely adequate,” Samerjan said of the electrical systems at the complex. “When you operate a major facility of this size, things do happen on occasion. We don’t see it as an issue at all going forward.”

... when it tripped for reasons that are still unknown

Maybe the point spread was going to cost someone some money, so it had to be curtailed?

4013489.jpg

Tony Soprano said:
Hey, you! Whatchu looklin' at, huh? Move along punk, nuttin' ta see here...

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Why is it important? Power goes out every day for home owners, and businesses, for a simular time period. Why isen't that a story?

If they wanted more reliable power they should have invested in backup generation, or a large UPS.

As you can see I don't have any soft feelings for sports, or people who expect better class of service based on there business name.

I can tell you why, based on the limited information provided.
The ground-fault trip was set to minimum.
$1.6 billion spent on the stadium, but the Power Study was value-engineered out of the project, saving them $5-10 grand!
Safe bet?
John M

You are saying it wasen't the utility? It was there own greed that caused the outage.

And there again I go back to the fact they did not want to pay for more reliable power. They get what they deserve.

Expect the best, but pay like the rest (of the cheepskakes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back