Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gibbscam service and support feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb1knobe

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2003
US
I'm doing much homework looking for an easy to use/ train 2-1/2D CAM program and am liking what I see with Gibbscam.

However, I am getting mixed feddback in regards to service and support. (I seem to hear great things about how well Mastercam is supported)

Does anybody have any service or support expereince they could share about Gibbs and Associates?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have heard nothing but good about GibbsCam. MasterCam is a clumsy dinosaur compared to it. You need to ask for and check up on references given by your software dealer.

I have had Gibbs goint on 2.5 years now. The software use to be ahead of everyone in CAM but now is in the middle of the pack on capability. There are some things that should of been improved with the 2004 release and were not.

Gibbs has a nasty habit of gouging a part sometimes if you do not of "retracts" selected on both roughing and contour machining. Basically what that means is you have a wasted move between each Z level slice going to clearance in order to make sure no gouging occurs. I find this stupid and a waste of motion & time. Our old package did not have this as a issue. I have had this as a bug for over 2 years and for 2 years they have done nothing.

Rocko,
That's interesting because I just spent a couple hours with a demo version and was wondering what I was doing wrong to cause the gouging on tool change. Now I know.

I really like how simple the software feels but I am not a fan of geometry creation, particularly the line termination stuff. Kind of strange. Otherwise it has a lot going for it with th exception of cost.

I also downloaded a demo of Featurecam (among many)and like the geometry creation very much.

Thanks
JB

We create all of our data in 3d via solidworks and do mold work. I do agree and have told them multiple times that the geometry creation stinks. They tell me most users do not have issues with it, i dont believe them. It is very quick and accurate on creating 3d toolpaths. By the way you should ask them why they have not fixed the retract issue and why others do not have the issue and they have for 2 years. I would be interested to hear what line they give you. Also I can tell you that you should not pay the first price they tell you. Tell them you are seriously thinking about buying another package and mention the retract issue and geometry creation pain, they will drop in price.

JB you may also want to look at going the full 3 axis Cam Software. The reason i mention this is that usually at some time you will need the capability plus if you have clients who will sent 3d work to you the 2.5 axis package may not be able to do the work as easily or at all.

Make sure you get demos from both Mastercam and Gibbs. And ask lots of questions. We have Gibbs and our biggest issue was the sales rep. said he'd write our posts, probably to keep a little more money in his pocket. Absolutely do not fall for this, it took over a year to get posts that were close to working, even with a nastygram to Gibbs. Gibbs never responded to this email either. Buy your posts straight from Gibbs. Creating geometry in a CAM software is part of life and adds time to a program, this is a shortfall of Gibbs, it's real bulky.

As far as Mastercam goes, I used the DOS version(a long time ago) and it was a dinosaur. I have lots of friends that use Mastercam now and prefer it to Gibbs for the geometry creation and ease of surface programming. I guess it'll still work out to personal opinion in the end.

Other than the one bad experience Gibbs tech support is great. They have also started a forum which has good info on. Try to find a user group for each also.

Have you looked at Featurecam, this software has some potential, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back