Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gimbal Analysis? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayZ

Mechanical
Nov 24, 2002
US
What kind of analysis is needed for a Gimbal expansion joint? Anybody has done this or know where I can find information?

In my humble openion, I need to find the pressure trust force and apply it to the Gimbal universal joint, does this sound correct? Also the force applied should be applied at the Gimbals different angles that it may go through.

Thank for the tip,
Merry X-Mass
Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say you are correct as far as gimbal forces from pressure go. You may need to consider bending loads on the expansion joint itself if it is large enough or stiff enough to be significant. Make sure you stay within the flexibility limits of the expansion joint (bellows?)itself as well. Go to manufacturers catalog data (for example or
additional information or hopefully product ratings. I did not actually go through the catalogs but I trust there is something helpful in there.

Why are you considering applying the Pressure thrust to the gimbal joint. The gimbal joint should have already been designed/constructed to accommodate the pressure thrust for the joint rating by the Manufacturer of the unit.

JayZ,

In my opinion, a detailed stress analysis is required for a hot system containing a gimbal (or any other kind) of expansion joint.

The CEASAR-II piping stress analysis program has a "Technical Guidelines" manual filled with useful examples of pipeline modeling situations. You can find examples for all types of expansion joints (including gimbal joints) within this manual.

As I recall, Pathway Bellows of Knoxville TN also published a series of papers on modeling of systems with expansion joints.

I believe that the Pathway company was sold.....and of course we all know that the first thing that the new owners do is to get rid of all the competent technical staff.......it makes the quarterly profits look so much better.....the tech guidlines may not be available any more(I don't know who has bought Pathway....it may be Senoir ??!??)

Hope that this helps......

MJC

Pathway Bellows in Oakridge, Tennessee was purchased by Senior Flexonics in 1999. The engineering staff at Pathway was very impressive to Senior and made the purchase attractive. They are all still there.

For gimbal design information you can the engineering department at (865) 483-7444 or go to myej.com.

JayZ,
Pathways was bought over by Senior Flexonics.
Bob Broyles is still there and is extremely knowledgeable.
You may also want to talk to Dan Edgar.
nrp12345

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back