Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gINT Hydrometer Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

caddyr2

Geotechnical
Mar 14, 2008
US
Has anyone used gINT software to report a hydrometer analysis? I am having a question on the hydrometer calibration function.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is my question. I need to add a 151H to the list of hydrometers it appears because the only hydrometer on their list is a 152H. When I go into Data Design:Library Tables to setup a new hydrometer it asks for calibration intercept and calibration slope. Any help on what those are or where to find them or how to calibrate my hydrometer to get these?

caddyr2,

Find the ASTM Standard for hydrometers (was in one of the Volume 14s, IIRC). If you don't have a copy, buy it via download from The calibration procedure is given in that standard.

I don't manage a soils lab anymore (moved companies, too), so I no longer have access to that information.

Basically, you account for temperature differences in the hydrometer reading using a standardized solution.

Jeff

Thanks, I'll have to buy that copy because unfortunately we don't have that one. I did find in the gINT help what to enter in that field although it took some searching. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand from reading old notes from college is that I have to take two temperature differences using my 40g/L sodium hexametaphosphate sol. and graph the readings and use that slope and y intercept to determine my calibration intercept and calibration slope. I wonder where the makers of gINT got the information for the 152H hydrometer that was already loaded into my computer... Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back