Status
Not open for further replies.

moltenmetal

Chemical
Jun 5, 2003
CA

Read the article, THEN discuss...

CLEONIKI KESIDIS said:
Growing up, I increasingly saw my good grades as a trap locking me into a single career: STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). It felt like a dystopian YA novel, and my high school report card was The Choosing. A’s in math and science? Here are your jeans and sweatshirt.

Well-meaning people lied to me. They said computer science was a great work-from-home career if I wanted children (when in fact a majority of women quit STEM because the culture of poor work-life balance makes it too difficult to raise a family), that STEM careers are secure (actually the industry has frequent layoffs and is very competitive), and more....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Veterinarians became one of THE most in-demand jobs. And not specifically female.

I'm saying that the so-called "demand" for specifically female engineers is a misnomer. (there is no male/female specific "need" in either of those industries) To the best of my knowledge, there weren't mass targeted campaigns for female veterinarians. However, as attitudes changed over generations, women gravitated towards the field. On their own. (some cite the "natural caregiver" effect - which indicates a biologically driven preference - are we in James Damore territory, if we buy into that?)

I have read that the percentage of new graduating veterinarians hovers somewhere close to 75%. So, if that's the case, will men be "under-represented"? Will we need to start token hiring/recruiting?

IRstuff said:
in a zero-sum situation, women, STEM or otherwise, are competing for the same jobs, and that makes it less likely for men to be altruistic in supporting additional, or any women, in the workplace. Certainly, from a self-interest perspective, every job women gain is a job not filled by a man.

I have heard that, in essence, from more than one white man in engineering. At the beginning of my career in Louisiana, I heard white, male engineers say often that open season had been declared on white men. They felt as though a target had been placed on their backs.

HamburgerHelper said:
Better doesn't mean it is what it should be and later is never now.

You are right in this and your immediately previous post to the one quoted. It's hard to police human behavior and many in HR don't have the skills to do it, which benefit the company and employees, so, in my experience, they neglect adequately addressing problems.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC
NSPE-CO, Central Chapter
Dinner program:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back