Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

glass fiber tensile testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanparvez

Mechanical
May 26, 2006
CA
I want to test the glass fiber strand under acidic condition. Don't want to etch it for long time and test. Just want to pass the fiber through plastic tube and somehow stop the acid to leak and pull in the two ends. Grips are made by epoxy.

Can anyone give me better suggestion on this ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You want the fiber immersed in acid during the pull test? Sounds like you will need to create an O-ring seal on one or both grips, and pass the grips through a glass or plastic tube.

Try sealing the tube with silicone adhesive. It has a very low modulus compared to the glass fibre and should not affect the results.

thx btruebood and demon3. silicone will not work since the fiber will be immersed in acid. I will buy O-ring hope that it will not provide additional force in tranverse direction while the fibesrs are pulled.

Susan,

Could you leave the top of the tube open? Otherwise, run several test pulls of just the O-rings, grips, and tube, with and without acid, and use the data to give you a "zero". The O-ring friction will be minimal if you use a suitable lubricant (use EPDM O-rings plus a silicone grease liuke Dow #33).

Good luck.

The silicone grease is a good idea. I don't understand why silicone adhesive would not work though. You use it to seal the bottom of the tube with the glass fibre in it. Then you fill with the acid and perhaps seal the top with grease.

thx again btruebood and demon3.

Silicone adhesive made the fiber greasy which I don't want. But the glue might work. I will try but not sure the exposure to acid.

I can leave the top of the testing tube open while the naked fiber is immersed into water. Then.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back