Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Glass Half Full or Half Empty? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutToLunch

Electrical
Jul 7, 2005
US
This is just an interesting observation that has about zero relevance to ethics, but I couldn't really find a good place to post it.

Anyway, I have noticed that I seem to be more of "The Glass is Half Empty" type of person and I was wondering if this is what drew me to engineering or if my profession as an engineer has drawn it out of me or if I'm just waxing philosophical about stupid things because I have nothing better to do and that is just the type of person I am - engineer or not.

What I'm driving at here is that whenever I am presented with an idea or a new approach to something my first instinct is to poke holes in it and see if it continues to float. Now, as an engineer, that is sort of what I'm paid to do - I need to make sure that what goes out the door isn't likely to fail. As a person, however, I think I should try to be more positive and look at an idea in a different light without trying to destroy it immediately. Anyone other engineers out there find themselves doing that kind of thing? I tend to blame my engineering side when I do this, but it could just be that I'm simply an sour person who hates new stuff - just a big curmudgeon at 34! >:-<

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Finding what will not work before it exists is part of an engineer's job.

Don't worry about it.

Buy a dictionary, keep it nearby and USE it. Webster's New World Dictionary of American English is recommended, and Webster's Collegiate Dictionary.

I don't agree with your analogy of a "glass half empty". To me, a person who is a "half empty" kind of individual will look at things with negativity..i.e. - things are bad, things are getting worse, that will never work, I'm doomed...etc.

When you look at a new idea or approach, you're not looking at it like "this is awful, this is terrible, it will never work".

Rather, you are actually looking at it as something that potentially could work....and you take the time to really consider its merits and possibilities. This is optimistic - not pessimistic. Taking the time to see if indeed there are no flaws in it, rather than assuming the worst, is really a compliment to any idea.

It seems like finding - or pointing out - the problem or potential problem as soon as possible will give you more time to avoid or fix it. That only makes sense and shouldn't be tied to pessimism. If you can shoot down an idea in 5 minutes, that's a lot better than shooting it down after you wasted 5 hours on it.

Of course, interacting with other people outside of engineering, sometimes you might get called a prick for always shooting down ideas that don't work. Some people like having sunshine blown somewhere.

Don't disagree with anything that is said here. UcfSE makes a good point at the end of his post. It can be hard to avoid being in your work mode outside of work. Be aware and always look on the positive side when you can when away from work. People tend to prefer that. Or be tactful.

Voice of experience.

Andy

Deliver bad news often enough and eventually people learn to just not like hearing from you. Such is human nature.

I have learned that it is necessary to present positive possibilities along with negative improbabilities. Always be ready to present or at least entertain the possibilities.

The process of being presented with an idea and then responding with an attitude of 'this idea is no good because of points A, B, C, etc.' is a negative outlook.

Being presented with the very same idea and responding with an attitude along the lines of 'gee, that a pretty good idea! I think if we just tweak this and change that we could really have something good here' is a positive outlook on the same situation.

It all comes down to attitude. Sometimes maintaining a positive outlook can be difficult, but the rewards for the investment in doing so far outstrip the initial effort.

In my experiences, the path of least resistance is to adopt a negative attitude because it is easy to do. I takes almost no effort to initiate or maintain. It just sort of happens. I think this is because it is often projected toward other people. It is very easy to point out others' shortcomings.

The path of most resistance is to maintain a positive attitude in the face of an onslaught of less than positive situations. It's the old no pain, no gain theory.

Also, you can't just do it once in a while. You must adopt it as a way of life. Now, I am not suggesting that one be positive about every sutuation all the time. But it is amazing what happens when a positive attitude is brought to the majority of discussions.

I've patented things my managers said weren't possible. I find usually these "devil's advocate" roles span from arrogance based on experience. Newbie ideas are squelched because they are unfamiliar to veteran engineers. If you squelch the ideas in brainstorming phases, you just opened up the avenue for your competition to get there first. (Unless you had me for an employee. I do it anyway and let you know when I succeed.)

ChemE, M.E. EIT
"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

I think it is important to analyze things as you mentioned. But as others have mentioned, it's always good to separate that attitude between work and personal. What's the harm if you're talking to someone outside of work and they give you an idea that won't work? Or say something you know is impossible? Let them have it now and then.

"When an elderly grey-haired scientist tells you something is scientifically possible, he is almost always right; and when an elderly, grey-haired scientist tells you something is scientificaly impossible, he is almost always wrong."
-Arthur C. Clarke

I believe it to be mostly true. We're always limited by the laws of Thermodynamics (or at least to the extent we understand them now). But our perception of reality is ever changing. I'm not saying you should let your employees spend company money trying to find the golden egg laying goose, but do what you can to nurture the free thought and creativity. Can't allow chaos, but radical innovation should be encouraged.

ChemE, M.E. EIT
"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

==> If you are truly an engineer, you would immediately realize that the glass was twice as large as was necessary.
Unless you designed scalability into the product.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Don't confuse objectivity with optimism or pessimism. As engineers, we should be objective without regard to the demeanor of presentation. Besides....one might be making his most optimistic presentation only to be perceived by the other as pessimistic....the eye of the beholder thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back