Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Global Bolted Joint Model for Multi-Bolt Joints (Gray and McCarthy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodler3D

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2020
US
Folks,

Have any of you extensively implemented Gray and McCarthy's global jointed model based off their paper "A global bolted joint model for finite element analysis of load distributions in multi-bolt composite joints". Would it be possible to ignore the bolt stiffness and model only the rigid surface to transfer the loads. Also, how do I model a rigid analytical surface in Ansys??

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I'm not wrong, you want to transfer displacement and forces without considering the bolt itself. If so, then why not Rigid body elements (RBE2 and RBE3)?

rigid elements ignore the bolt stiffness. CBUSH (and RBE) would provide some representation of the bolt stiffness.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

I am using Inventor Nastran, the default bolt connector which is BEAM+RBE2 has a bug for the version of Inventor. I am trying to find a workaround to correctly transfer the load between the structure. I'm pretty sure that the bolts will not fail in shear.

“I’m pretty sure that bolts will not fail in shear”. Uh use CBUSH elements, export forces, and check against the shear strength of the bolts

“Any idiot can build a bridge that stands, but it takes an engineer to build a bridge that barely stands.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back