Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GLOBE VALVE MIN. FLOW RATE AREA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skengg

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2021
IN
Hello, i am designing a steel globe valve and i want to know for designing a globe valve vbody what is the min. requirement of flow area for particular nominal dia. at any cross section of globe valve body.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Realistically there is no min or max requirement. However, you would want to keep the area consistent so you don’t have any expansion or contraction of the fluid as it enters or exits the body.

Depending on the type of globe you’re designing you can look at how the central section is designed I.e. are you fitting in a cage or not etc. but generally the body isn’t where you ant any pressure dropping or any fluid effects happening, keep it all streamlined and approx. The same sectional area and you’ll be ok.

thanx for replying, actually our company wants to design a globe valve with reduction in weight. for desgining a steel globe valve body i am looking for chest reduction dia but it will reduce the flow percentage at particular cross section. so i was looking for any kind of design book or guidelines which focus on globe valve body design in flow point of view. i heard somewhere that it is possible to reduce flow min. to 75% at some section.

I thought that the globe valve is designed with a typical Cv value. You may make the valve body smaller to reduce the weight, but it may reduce the flow rate with the same pressure drop. Is it desired?

yea mk3223, we are not concerned much about flow rate but i think the issue is that isn't reducing flow area at particular cross section ceate different kind of problems like cavitation. like i can cut any area of 3d model and software and calculate cross sectional area of body which tells flow area at that section. but the point is at extreme end point our inside dia equivilent to 100% flow area so how much we can reduce max. at inside middle somewhere of the body.by doing this we can compormise with flow but keeping the body free from unnecessary hinderance for particular pressure rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back