Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Glulam Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inzynier

Structural
Dec 19, 2001
US
I am looking for a good reference on design of heavy glulam trusses, with particular emphasis on connections design. The APA guides are OK for conventional trusses, but they seem to have limited resources for heavier, customized design. Any suggestions are welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try "Design of Wood Structures-ASD", 4th edition,
Breyer, Fridley, and Cobeen, McGraw-Hill

Has pretty good treatment of connection design. At the level you are seeking, the design is a bit more than "cookbook". You'll have to slug it out through the details of edge distances, stress direction vs. wood properties, etc.

Also pick up the Timber Construction Manual from AITC, it has a few examples of glulam truss design, including connections. Now, they're charging an outrageous $140 US for the book, but somehow I "only" paid $110 for it. You might be able to find it on the cheap at eBay or half.com. Regardless, AITC is devoted to glulam and has a lot of free downloads and such.

Breyer's book is, without a doubt, my favorite textbook.

Ron, DaveKing:

Thanks for your suggestions. These are excellent books indeed. It appears, that our selection of reference materials on glulam and heavy timbers is quite limited when compared to other building materials.

Mr. Inzynier,
Refer AITC “ Timber Construction Manual” Chapter 6- Design of Structural Systems. All the details are available includes Design, Erection and connections etc.,. For design of timber structural systems both Glued laminated Timber and swan lumber as per AITC provisions are available in STAAD.Pro.
ksreedhar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back