Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

GM drive by wire throttle bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigTomHanks

Mechanical
Dec 12, 2004
US
I'm piecing together a junk yard 5.3 engine from a 2002 Suburban that has drive by wire throttle. When I found the engine the throttle body was missing so I figured I could easily find a replacement off another vehicle. What I found out is that from 2002 to 2003 the throttle body design was changed from a 2 connector style to a 1 connector style. I figured it was only a configuration change and the internals operated the same so I modified my harness for the 1 connector throttle body. Turns out that something more significant changed with the operation of the throttle bodies from 2002 to 2003 internally and it won't work. My question is does anyone know of a way to get the 2003 style throttle body to work on the 2002 and also what are the actual differences between them operationally? This is a popular swap that I am doing and there is probably some money to be made if someone can some up with an adapter that would allow the use of these throttle bodies as they are more prevalent in junk yards because they have been used for more years than the 2001-2002 style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back