Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

gnss survey without cellphone signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

henders1

Geotechnical
Feb 28, 2007
GB
I am looking to purchase a trimble r10 or similar for several engineering projects where I require centimetre level accuracy topographic information to design engineering works. Some of these sites are in areas of poor cellphone signal so I wont be able to get accurate co ordinates at the time as the RTK facility wont operate. This isnt necessarily a problem for me as I dont need the completed survey till I get back to the office. Is it possible to do a survey in "static" mode and then post process to get the accuracy I require. I dont want the hassle of using a total station as I want to be able to do the surveys with one person. Also a local grid survey would be good enough for me, I dont require the precise national grid co ordinates, just so long as the survey is centimetre accurate to a local grid

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Absolutely. In fact, in the Los Angeles area, there are literally dozens of sites that provide DGPS data for post processing. However, I do think that's it's necessary to use the Trimble software to do the processing.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Thank you for the reply. Is this still the case when the R10 is just a single rover unit and there is no base station. I meant to put this in the first post. The sites are in the UK, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Single receiver is not an issue, but locality is. The whole concept of DGPS is that there is a known base station whose precise and accurate position knowledge allows it to back our the GPS signal errors so that another station is essentially bootstrapping its own GPS with the base station's to achieve a better position knowledge. To that end, the corrections need to come from a base station that "sees" the same set of GPS satellites as the rover, which means that the closer to the rover the better the correction, and in any case, the base station should be within 1000 km of the rover. However, if you are trying achieve cm-level accuracies, the base station needs to be even closer.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

OK, thanks. So I can see several UK Ordnance Survey CORS stations typically within 30km to the sites I am looking at so I presume that if I use that data in conjunction with the raw RINEX data collected by the Trimble, then post processing using the Trimble software can give me the accuracy that I am looking for ?

30km is probably slightly borderline. Do you absolutely need 30-cm absolute accuracy? Typically, people might need 30-cm relative accuracy.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back