Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Goals for the year 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KENAT

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2006
US
So there was a thread ( thread731-183432 ) the other day about setting goals for a machinist.

Today I got told I have to set my goals so I was wondering, does anyone else have to set goals as part of their pay revue process and if so any tips for doing so?

Having learned from the experience of others I don't want to list anything that has a lot of aspects outside of my control but that starts to limit the list.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I find it interesting that some of you get more money for reaching goals.

Where I'm at doesn't really matter (monetarily) if you meet goals or not, everyone gets the same raise, 2.875% to 3.125%
And bonus's were based on how much you contributed to your 401K plan. I say were because it's been 7 or 8 years.

My goal is a new job.

Hmm... last time I had to do this, I was reviewed by my regional manager (whom I never MET!!!) over the phone. I got 4% raise... blah blah blah... How could you review someone that you never met??? anyway, thats why I left a big corporation and joined a small firm.

I have both "individual" goals and "team" goals, with the team reportables far outweighing the individual ones. While raises are COL generally, your bonuses seem heavily weighted to the team goals. Unfortunately, as was often evident in "teamwork" in college, the unfortunate sod chosen to be the team leader is usually the one doing the majority of the work. If you want a bonus for the year, you do as much as you can to make up where you can.

"S.M.A.R.T. is S.W.O.T. The smart system a silly waste of time." AMEN!

Here's something scary: besides SMART we actually have something called SWOT. There was an e-mail Friday from the SWOT coordinator BUT no one in the office knows has ever heard of it.

""S.M.A.R.T. is S.W.O.T. The smart system a silly waste of time." AMEN!

Here's something scary: besides SMART we actually have something called SWOT. There was an e-mail Friday from the SWOT coordinator BUT no one in the office knows has ever heard of it. "

I'd only pay attention if it said S.W.A.T.

Thanks SomptingGuy - I could remember the S W and O but "threats" has been evading my memory for days now! We were taught it in an undergraduate management course back in 1996.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back