Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Going backwards in technology...? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

fistandantilus

Civil/Environmental
Dec 1, 2008
US
So my boss wants me, and the rest of our group, to essentially go back to the way things were done about 10 years ago...

My boss has no current understanding of ANY of the software that I (and others in my group) use - which includes various CAD/CADD programs, some BIM, and some other 3D programs. He got frustrated because our last project "took too long" and he felt that since he doesn't know the current software, then he needs to step us back in time to a point where he does understand the tech (which he last used about 10 years ago).

My group all feels that this is ridiculous knee-jerk reaction to the problems with our last project...
I don't want to bore everyone with the details, but the software was NOT the problem: it was one of communication (lack-of) and last-minute changes with no accounting by management for the time it takes to make such changes.

Nevertheless, I had a lengthy discussion with my boss that this is not the way to do things. The step back to older ways of doing things may help him understand the process better, but it only adds to our entire group's workload. Thus making the inevitable last-minute changes twice as difficult! I further explained the communication and change issues as well.
However, he was not swayed, and continues to insist that we do things the old way, and then MAYBE, on the next project we will slowly go back to current way - but not entirely... he "will see".

I understand that managers need to manage, but this feels more like a power issue. I say he should learn the software and get up-to-date on what he is managing, which is basically my question...

Should we fight back, and "emphatically request" that he updates himself, or should we just capitulate and say "yes boss" ??

(P.S. I purposely left out details of my job description, industry, specific software, etc... b/c I believe that the discussion should not be about that... it is more about the principle!)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Doug and Graybeach,
I Agree with you that FEA is often missed used and ultimately just creates a pretty picture when a couple quick equations out of the Machinerys Hand book would suffice (for Mechanical Stuff).
When talking about 2D Cad aka Etch A Sketch, compared to 3D modeling, I completely disagree. Correctly using 3D modeling is epically (is that a word?) faster and more efficient then 2D.

The big problem I have run into in my 3rd companies now, is that people experienced in 2d want to use the same work flow for 3d as 2d. The most efficient work flow and design cycle is very different for 3d.
Half of my current job is update the work flow from a 2d to a 3d. This is my second time doing this, and last time it took about 2 years to transition a 50 person company from 2d to 3d. It takes a while to get everyone drinking the 3d kool-aid .

Cheers.

No doubt about the need for new work flows. They are needed not only for 2d vs. 3d, but also for how things get checked and documented. It could be that the OP is a young person who was not yet had learned the fear of god from a major construction screw up. The good thing about 2d and old fashioned computer analysis where the input can be printed out completely is that things can be checked and checking can be documented. I am really looking forward to seeing how we humans figure all of this out. This is a pretty exciting time to be an engineer.

This reminds me of a manager that asked for a spreadsheet to be done by hand next time because there was a mistake in it.

Look at it from your customers perspective instead. Do they expect the job to be done a certain way using a certain kind of software? Can you produce everythign they expect today using the old methods? Do they only want the output on paper or do they need electronic files in a certain format? What about the guys making what ever you are designing? Will the old method create extra work for them?

Your problem is not technical but you may find a technical solution. Will the old software cause problems for IT? Does it even run on your new 64 bit windows 7 computers?

The easiest way to avoid this for it to cause too much pain for someone else that is not under your bosses authority.

You know, there really isn't any reason not to get your resume out there and look around, but don't make any knee-jerk decisions. The worst advice are the one's that come from one line of thinking. It does not matter where you go, there are always going to be issues that are difficult to deal with; think about your decision and apply some rational wisdom.

Now, think about the practicality of the situation. How is it going to be possible to actually go "backward"? You haven't told us any of the specifics on purpose so I really have to wonder exactly what is going on. You can't load an old CAD system into your network and expect any of your past jobs to be useable. Old software does not accept new software. Old software has a hard time running on new computer systems, as HDS points out.

Really, this whole thing sounds fishy to me-- I don't see any possible way your boss can get what he wants without a huge amount of time, money and resources wasted in the effort. Certainty he has someone he needs to report to. If not, then I think he will soon realize that he is the one that needs to get with the program.

I say ride it out with a resume in the works just in case, and avoid the advice that is absolute. No one on this forum knows the specifics and contrary to your belief that they are not important.... they are indeed.

Ten-years? that's a long time.

Charlie

This isn't necessarily directed at this specific problem, since I don't know enough details. However, there can certainly be times when people get carried away with software.

I can spend hours modelling a platform with all the details, or I can spend five minutes with a calculator getting something that's not as exact but effectively the same for engineering purposes. I can model out a transmission line and get everything down to the millimeter, or I can use a nomograph and a few charts and come up with enough to do construction in half an hour. I can do a modal analysis, or a time history analysis of a building, or I can do a simplified static analysis on one sheet of paper.

In some cases, doing the first option is the right way to go, but doing it all the time kills you on time and budget. You can save a great deal of time and money by identifying spots where a 'modern' workflow is actually less efficient. It's not going back ten years, in that case, it's identifying the right tool for the job.

It's really easy to get it stuck in your head that the newest way is the best, when it isn't necessarily. I know I've certainly gotten myself into situations before where my head is stuck on doing things the way one specific toolset solves the problem and, as a result ended up making things much more involved than they really needed to be.

This may be "water under the bridge" but the next time someone makes last minute changes explain that you must estimate the hours necessary to accommodate the changes before making them. Once you've done that then present the guy with an Impact Statement copying your boss and the other guy's boss. If you don't nip it in the bud right away then the guy will think he can be cavalier with the requirements and will do it on one project after another!

As for you and your group moving ten years back on the software, I would write a petition signed by all describing the impact of going back to the old software then get it to him anonymously; the author of the petition (you) should not be identified. The petition should make it clear that the issue will be elevated to his boss if he doesn't change his mind.

Tunalover

Blindly going back to old methods is as bad as blindly introducing new methods.

Lessons learned review, autopsy, deep-dive - whatever buzz term you want to use - you need to find out why the last project failed (poor communication apparently)and make changed to address that. Did the new software cause it? Would the old method have avoided it? Can the new software be used in a similar fashion as the old to address the specific failure point?

I said drive towards a compromise.

If the OP is still monitoring this thread - and if you feel very confident that the current software was not the problem, then I would suggest you step out of your comfort zone, take some responsibility, and volunteer to be the point man on the next project for all "timeliness" related issues. Volunteer to be part of the solution. Frankly and honestly, speaking as one who has spent several years on both sides of the management fence, you are currently part of the problem.

Instead of just saying, "We can't do that" offer some suggestions of what we CAN do. It is much easier to say "That won't work" than it is to say "Here's something that might work better."

See this for what it is: an opportunity dressed as a problem. Help to solve it and you help yourself.

EVEN IF he still insists on doing it the old way, you should STILL volunteer to be the man to help the next project go quicker. That effort alone will give you more credibility the next time around. It takes SO LITTLE to stand out above the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back