Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Golden joint Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youcef-OilGas

Petroleum
Nov 7, 2021
DZ
Hi All,

We have been asked as Client for approval to make 02 Golden Joints (to avoid Hydrotest) on 18'' SS piping THK 48-50mm, in order to fix a misalignement of this line. This line has been already hydrotested (Design pressure 106bar).
Can somebody give me a technical point of view, if it's acceptable or not & if there is any Standard ruling this type of job?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO, it's the Owner's responsibility to determine the acceptance of the golden joint.
Typically, it may be applied to the offshore or LNG module to module tie-in, and kept to only one joint per system.

I have seen similar Owner approvals a few times in the past.

Owner's responsibility. Used quite often in the tie of pipelines at new road crossings, or other places where hydrotesting 1 or 2 weld joints is impossible, or extremely impractical.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

18" pipe 45-50 mm THICK??? For only 106 bar DP this looks very odd.

How are they fixing this "misalignment"?

How can they have hydrotested it before and only now, after hydro, do they want to do something about it?

Nothing here makes sense. I would make them hydro it again if it was their fault and they are introducing something in a line that thick.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Good catch. I didn't see it.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

What is the applicable code / standard ?
B31.3 allows minor repairs or additions after testing without having to retest but fixing misalignment on 48-50 mm thick pipe would generally not be considered minor.
From a Clients perspective the first thing I would be asking is how they intend to rectify the misalignment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back