Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Golden Welds

Status
Not open for further replies.

crich1

Chemical
Mar 1, 2004
FR
Should there be a limit to the number of 'Golden Welds' on a project?
(Golden welds have 100% radiography but do not get pressure tested before use)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends! If you are required to follow a particular Code or standard, you have no choice. The requirements for NDT in Codes and Standards are based on past experience and operating conditions to avoid injury or premature failure.

If you are not bound by any Code or Standard regarding NDT of welds, I would use common sense and select a minimum sampling (say 10%) of critical welds to verify weld quality. With this approach, you can always increase the number of welds for NDT.

I assume that "Golden Welds" is a reference to closure welds as defined in 345.2.3 (c) of ASME B31.3 or similar. In this case, if the system can reasonably be pressure leak tested, it should be. Only the closure weld need not, provided it is passes 100% RT or UT examination. It may not be used indescriminantly to avoid pressure leak testing of a piping system.

crich1, the weld may not need to be hydro/pressure tested; however, the pipe or fitting that is welded does require pressure testing. The hydro/pressure test is intended to ensure the integrity of the piping system. I believe that cost of hydro testing the individual components and then welding them in place would limit the number of “golden welds” on a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back