good 2d parametric sketcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnis

Automotive
May 15, 2003
DE
Hello everybody,
I'm looking for a simple solution to perform ordinary mechanism analysis: a parametrical sketcher where I can define some 2d geometrical entities, constraint them (like kinematics - sets in Catia V4) and analyse some parameters... (simple simulation of forces as lines, etc.). I would like to be able to variate an input parameter and to output other resulting parameters as text (for example) for making some graphics in Excel and analyse them. Is there a simple sketcher which would do this (specialy exporting parameters values would be very interesting for me)? And I'm talking about the whole range of softwares, from free to expensive.
Thank you in advance for all your answers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Working Model 2D is probably no longer sold, but would do roughly what you want, except that I don't think it is parametric.

For other solutions see thread727-163567

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

If money is not an obstacle, SolidWorks (albeit a 3D model program) has a 2D parametric sketching function called "Sketch Blocks".

The geometry can be directly linked to an Excel spreadsheet (Design Table). The intended use of the Design Table is to control the geometry, but it also works in reverse ... the geometric attributes can be used to drive equations in the Design Table or exported to a standalone spreadsheet (not parametric). The spreadsheet equations would have to be setup by yourself.

SolidEdge has a free sketcher, & Alibre Express (also 3D) is free but can be used to sketch. I don't know if they can be linked to a spreadsheet though.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​

There's also:
TK Solver,
Graphicalc,
MSC used to have Nastran 4D, but that is discontinued and I don't know if they are offering a replacement.

A lot of the recent versions of MCAD software: Solid Edge as an example, are implementing the newest features in D-Cubed's AEM which does motion analysis.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

You mentioned CATIA V4 - CATIA V5 has a parametric sketcher that can be used for simple 2D kinematics. And you can output the parameters to Excel.

Hi jackk,

can you explain me how can I output parameters to Excel from Catia V5 Sketcher? This is the big question that I have...

Thank you in advance.
Conrad

I gave up trying to use smartsketch with MathCad and instead derived the equations myself and used Excel with a macro to show the mechanism in motion, together with a calculation of all the forces. To check the forces I used a free program called beam!2d, I think, and disconnected the rotational freedom at pin joints.

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back