Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Good Books for Engineering Project Management 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGrayPPD

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2017
US
Can anyone give recommendations for some good books on engineering project management?

My interest is more from a process plant engineering and design perspective if there are any books specifically in that area.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I cannot help you with the process plant engineering aspect but for the project management and design aspect have a look at these.

For project management these two texts are comprehensive and quite good compared to other books I have used.
The Nicholas and Steyn text is better for an engineering perspective (this was for an engineering course). The Gardiner text is good for project management theory/framework (this was for a project management course). I have retained both my library. For study I also referenced some older PM library texts and usually found that the well known authors all had something to offer even though the books might be dated.

Project Management for Engineering, Business and Technology - John M. Nicholas and Herman Steyn​
Project Management: A Strategic Planning Approach - Paul D. Gardiner​

I have not read all of this text but I find it is a useful reference for problem solving;
Project Pain Reliever - Dave Garrett​

For legal and contract management this is very good (for Australian contract law);
Practical Guide to Engineering and Construction Contracts - Loots and Charrett​

Now some interesting stuff [smile]. A few books about success and failure. I found Moon Lander really good;

For mechanical design and systems engineering;
Moon Lander - Thomas J. Kelly​
Skunk Works - Ben R. Rich​

For how things (including projects) can go wrong;
Running Critical - Patrick Tyler​
Truth, Lies and O-rings - Allan J. McDonald​
The Logic of Failure - Dietrich Dorner​

cheers

True. But it is written by George Ellis, one of the Gods on servo control at Kollmorgen. It's based on his experience and a massive amount of research. Don't diss it just because it hasn't been discovered yet.

I find it incredible that there are any books on PM. I have always considered that PM's and PE's cannot construct a sentence, let alone a complete book, to save their lives!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back