Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Good books for Writing FE Code using C++, Fortran, or MATLAB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pootypeters

Structural
Jul 11, 2012
US
I was hoping to start writing some very basic FE code to solve simple structural problems. I would not consider myself a programmer and only know C++, Fortran, and MATLAB. This will be difficult but is something that I have a lot of interest in. Does anyone know any good books that address writing FE programs using any of these languages? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A different perspective:

You don't have to be an FE developer to be a good FE modeler. There are a LOT of things you can do with clever modeling tricks. But, of course, if you know there is no way you can model a fancy boundary condition, material or, say, the degrees of freedom provided in typical software codes isn't sufficient, then yes, you need to understand linear and nonlinear finite element analysis (and a little bit of continuum mechanics).

Thanks for the advice. I have checked out a few books and hopefully I can make some headway. Missil3, I found the link to UIUC very interesting and browsed through a lot of it. Unfortunately many of the links were closed. That is impressive that that is what those students do in their senior year of undergrad. I was doing stuff similar, but with Maple, my final year in grad school. Yikes!

The course materials are likely to disappear at the beginning of a semester, you might have to wait until May for all of the homework and solutions to be posted online. I would use an open-source finite element solver instead.

This book is excellent and they have a Python version of their code available (pyFEM). You can get this up and running pretty quickly, then just feed it nodes, elements, constraints, and loads.

The fenics project has a great community of grad students and researchers. It is a really robust solver, but it is pretty well known as one of the most complicated Python libraries to set up. This might be a bit more than you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back