Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good Earthquake Engineering Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash060

Structural
Nov 16, 2006
US
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good earthquake engineering text?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I looked into this a while ago myself. From what I found, I liked Nigel Priestley's "Displacement-Based Seismic Design" book the best. If you're looking for a book that simply works through the design codes step by step, then there are better books.

Note that with most seismic texts, it is beneficial if you at least have a graduate level background in structural dynamics.

Seismic Design Handbook - Farzad Naeim. It is a little dated. I am not sure if newer code updated version is available.

We are Virginia Tech
Go HOKIES

Anil Chopra's Dynamics of Structures is great. Using it myself now to brush up on the subject after a few years. Page xxxii of the preface has a direct reading path if you are a practicing engineer. Chaptes 1 to 3 give the basic mechanics. Chapters 6 and 7 provide the theory behind response of structures to earthquakes, and Chapters 18 through 21 relate that to the actual codes.

Clough and Penzien's is good too, and best if you need a more detailed walk through in mechanics of vibrations.

I've got to agree with slickdeals. The Seismic Design Handbook is excellent. The 2nd edition (which is the one I have was published in 2001).

It has chapters on the following fundamental concepts:

1) The nature of earthquake motion
2) Response Spectra
3) Geotech Issues (Soil effects, liquifaction...)
4) Dynamic response of structures
4) Equivalent Static Force Procedures (1997 UBC and 2000IBC)
5) Drift and stability

It also has detailed chapters on the seismic design and detailing of

1) Diaphragms
2) Steel Structues
3) Reinforced Concrete
4) Wood and Masonry
5) Non-Structural components
6) Architectural Considerations

It's got a number of chapters on more advanced topics (Base Isolation, Performance Based Design Procedures, et cetera).

I swear that I'm not related to Farzad Naeim (or any of the other authors), I just think it is a very good reference for a wide variety of seismic topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back