Crimson Editor - Industrial strength text editor

Editpad - another good text editor

WinMerge - graphical text file comparison

CSDiff - text output text file comparison

Foxit - pdf reader

Pdfcreator - you guess

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

sdz,

xfig, galeon, khangman, vim, ...

What do you want to do with the software?

Critter.gif
JHG

But more seriously...

As a near 20-year Matlab-aholic, we had a network outage this week that killed my licence server. I'm seeing how long I can use octave for my daily work (signal analysis mainly) before it runs out of steam. It's doing very well so far - I've not even thought about restarting the ML licence server.

- Steve

Don't you notice a HUGE speed difference? I can't remember what i was doing but for one built in function matlab was 20 times faster than octave.

That's a whinge, overall I am very impressed by Octave.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I haven't really compared speeds yet. Most of my stuff is blink-of-an-eye processing (diff/hilbert/cumsum/fft/logical/plot) of 1D signals. Octave (and ML of course) can provide answers faster than I can ask the questions.

I am impressed too.

- Steve

Octave has no (proper) equivalent of xlsread. Bummer, so I can't run some code created by a supplier. Of well, at least 3.2.0 (for Windoze) is now up on the sourceforge web site. Looks good so far.

- Steve

to get a good amount of free softwares (including firefox, thunderbird, notepad++, filezilla, gimp, openoffice, etc...) on a portable device such as an usb stick and use it everywhere whitout needing to install it.

Cyril Guichard
Defense Program Manager
Belgium

Why not install Cygwin on your PC? Then its possible to run Nedit and Perl for example. I use it since I really miss the good old days with Unix

Live Long and Prosper !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back