Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Good mobile apps for engineers? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know anyone who is using a smart phone to "design"...but I've found it immensely useful for field work to have such a variety of calculators, databases, and measuring tools on hand.

One other great app is the Bosch photo something-or-other. You can capture a picture and then impose dimensions/text directly onto the photo to download or email later.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Well, I've taken the initial step into never leaving my home again. Android SDK is loaded and ready to be used. Someone has to write these "apps", we can't all just use them.

- Steve

I'm stunned to see that in 20+ posts not one has mentioned Wolfram Alpha? Sure, one might not have to get the actual app, but it's a bit easier than to use the web browser in the phone.

If you haven't came across Wolfram before it's like an "engineers google" that will calculate, convert, plot and so forth just about anything. You can ask for anything from solving equations to "diameter 5mm and force 2N, what is the mechanical stress?" and it usually understands the question no matter how you make the input.

(and so forth)

Wolfram Alpha has been discussed in other threads. Other than a novelty factor, I can't recall anyone saying that they use in on a regular basis, or in lieu of something else.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Somewhat OT - has someone a good collection of formulas optimezed for an e-reader? At least mine is a pain in the asse fo searching and jumping between pages, paper is far better here IMHO. But I don't want to always lug around 2 or three smallish books.

@MartinLe:

As much as I hate Windows8, I like the concept of lugging around one of those new, small, convertible laptop/tablet computers. I just can't get away from having a real computer OS with everything copied from my office PC.

The apps that I really like:

* i41CX+
* RCL59 (for nostalgia's sake)
* Math Studio
* Pipe Sizes (Garner Labs)
* Pipe Tools (Bri Chem)
* Steam Tools (Spirax / Sarco)
* Steam Tables
* IAPWS-IF97 Steam Tables (Zittau / Goerlitz University Of Applied Sciences)
* Unit Converter Pro
* Colebrook-White

I have no idea what kind of app was used (or if it was even an app) but when I bought a house the home inspector just used his smart phone, took all the pictures with it, wrote all the notes for it and I had the full report in my email within the hour. I was impressed with the process.

I use my tablet to read pdf copies of textbooks I own and basically have an arsenal of information at my finger tips when in meetings.

I always have the Engineering Cookbook on my cellphone, just for quick references when I haven't had enough caffeine on an early Monday morning meeting [3eyes]. And I have a quick steam calculator on my cellphone also.

I started using Mech. Eng. Toolbox. Good range of basic formulas/ conversions/ calculators/ materials. A lot of the apps listed above rolled into one.
Worth checking out.

Comprehension is not understanding. Understanding is not wisdom. And it is wisdom that gives us the ability to apply what we know, to our real world situations

It's not crashed once for me (Samsung Galaxy 3, Android 4.3).

I've not done a comparison with others (hands up on that one).

It appeals to me because it gives direct control over the things that matter to me (block size, sample rate, frequency resolution, averaging). Like it's been written by someone that knows the background to spectral analysis rather than someone who wants to make a flashy toy. (First application for me was to measure my car's idle speed by picking-off the 2E frequency, adjusting the DSP parameters to get the exact measurement I wanted). Text dump of latest and averaged spectra is pretty simple too. Friends can't see a use for it. Surprisingly, most colleagues can't either.

- Steve

Thanks SG,
It's apps like the ones I'm seeing here that make me want to ditch my flip-phone Nokia and get an android after all. Despite the fact that my Nokia still lasts almost 3 weeks without a recharge.

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back