Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Google Maps Now Has Ludicrous Speed Driving Mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRstuff

Aerospace
Jun 3, 2002
US
This is actual screenshot of new Google Maps while driving around in OC, showing 9 minutes estimated time to arrive on current route, but alternate route showing 23 minutes FASTER, so not only FTL speed, but traveling backwards in time!

Screenshot_20230710_160350_Maps_zkjlwv.jpg

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A SIX lane motorway!!

Was probably anticipating a crash ahead!

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Google time line reported me as going from British Columbia to Manitoba at what worked out to be an average speed of about 7000 MPH. Yes, seven thousand miles per hour.
The return trip was somewhat slower but still several mach numbers.
I never left the city limits of a small city in BC that day.
My longest trip was a couple of miles.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I dunno, google can do a lot. Twisting space and time into a pretzel may not be out of their wheelhouse lol.

I have seen some weird things on google maps like it tells me to get off a highway at an exit, stop at the light at the end of the exit, drive straight across the intersection and get back onto the same highway!

It's kind of a theme with artificial intelligence type stuff. It can be really smart but every once in awhile it's really stupid. My wife said that about me once. Actually come to think of it... she left out the really smart part!

A old joke about how to get to Michigan:
Fly or make a wrong turn on the inter-state.
My GPS put me into Michigan twice with poor directions.
That had complications.
As my vehicle was registered as an Interstate Commercial Vehicle, I was supposed to report to my office every state that I entered, who were required to report to the authorities to ensure proper remission of license fees.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Being from Michigan, our jokes were mostly directed at people from Ohio and Indiana ;-)

But there is one 'joke' that's not funny at all. Michigan of course consists of two large peninsulas and I think it's still true that in order to fly (commercially) from the Lower Peninsula to the Upper Peninsula, you have to first change planes in Illinois or Minnesota.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Hello John.
Abject apologies for disrespecting your home state.
The original joke may have been in regards to a city rather than a state.
I don't remember.
But, begging your forgiveness, after I ended up in Michigan not once but twice due to a wrong turn on the interstate:
How could I NOT make the joke about Michigan?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Actually, along the Wisconsin/Michigan border, there are sections of the primary highway that weaves across the state line multiple times, so even when the GPS is spot on, you'll still find yourself doing a double take.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back