Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPD for Football Stadium/Baseball Field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cenc

Civil/Environmental
Jul 18, 2008
GB
I am in the process of designing a lift station to handle the waste from the restrooms at a high school track/football field (approximately 2,500 seat capacity), a softball field and baseball field. My fixture unit count is 42, though would like to find some flow numbers. Closest I have found is for a picnic area, which was 5 GPD/person. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just found a table in the Anne Arundel County, MD design manual stating 5 gpd/seat for sports arena.

In Florida it's 4 gpd/seat for stadiums, close enough to 5. I would be more concerned about the appropriate peaking factor than the daily flow for the lift station design.

agreed, peaking factor is way more important than total daily flow. Assume the 5 gpd occurs during 1 hour so it is 5 gph

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm borderline idiot with regards to water and sewer design at this time. Ater posting this I got to thinking that I should use fixture units since I'm looking to convert existing bathrooms from septic onto a low pressure sewer. This restroom only has one toilet in each bathroom with a sink, so with a DFU of 14, approximately 14 gpm.

Don't forget to calculate PEAK flows when everybody flushes after/before games. Think of half-time at high school football game.

The peak flow for a facility like this will occur between innings.

For a football stadium, you assume that half the crowd will use the facilities at halftime. Each flush would be 1.6 gals. This would occur during a 15 time interval (halftime).

The peak flow will be less for a baseball stadium than for a football stadium because there are more time breaks.

As you have determined, the best estimate will be based on using the fixture method.

Thanks for the feedback, though I'm a little confused now. I've read on another post that 1 DFU is approximately 1 gpm, though in your link, bimr, the paragraph above table 1-5 states 1 DFU represents 7.5 gpm. If this were the case, one toilet would represent 45 gpm (6 x 7.5). At 1.6 gallons per flush, that's 28 flushs a minute. Obviously not possible. The 1 DFU to 1 gpm seems to makes sense in that, I could see a toilet getting flushed 4 times a minute during a peak time (6.4 gallons). Based on this, it would seem that DFU's do not get multiplied by a peaking factor?

FU values represent the probable flow that fixture will discharge into a drainage system. 1 DFU is approximately 1 gpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back