Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

GPS - RFID - International Communication - SMS not the preferred metho 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthJack

Computer
Jan 17, 2011
US
I have devices that have rfid and gps integrated for vehicle, inventory, and personnel tracking. Currently, these devices use sim cards to send/receive data with sms messages.

I would like to have these devices send the same communications via 3g/4g/gprs/gsm, ie through the internet instead of sending sms messages.

Sending international sms messages in the volume that we need to send data is really just too expensive.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Uhm, how else do you propose getting those messages out, then? 3G/4G, etc. is just the cell providers protocol to transmit data... that's what you're paying for. You can't skip the network just because you use something other than SMS...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I propose getting data to and from the device in some other way than sending a text message. There has to be a way to make the device transmit data via a data-only connection. Sending international text messages is extremely expensive in the large volume that our devices use.

Typically, such systems would have a PC embedded within them to process the data and control the overall system.

Them (basically) you stick a Mobile Data USB stick into the PC and (provided you're in the coverage area, have an account, etc.) you'll be connected to the Internet.

For rugged mobile applications, you can probably find a more rugged form factor than USB.

I agree that SMS is not the correct solution in this era.

the devices that were using have an arm processor on the board as well as rfid and gps. soon to include wifi as well.

there are some mobile applications as well stationary applications. is tracking vehicles, tracking inventory when it leaves the warehouse, enters the warehouse, enters the truck, leaves the truck.. there are so many facets that it would take a long time to explain, but suffice it to say, the current business model isnt a successful one and i would like to change that.

The best approach might be to contact the mobile data providers in the markets you intend to operate, determine what service plans they offer (costs), and determine the hardware (interfaces) they recommend.

Mobile data has become ubiquitous in many areas. It should be quite simple to find a satisfactory solution from a commercial provider. Probably $10 to $30 per month per terminal (YMMV).

This assumes that you require wide area coverage. If it's all on-site, then it might (?) be cheaper to use your own local, self-operated solution.

As VE mentioned, you need to work with your local service provider... in the end, it's all data being transmitted over their networks, but you can sidestep the generic user SMS mess if you can hook directly into their data protocols (they'll help you with this). Once you go down that road, however, you're on a totally different pricing scheme than a standard user... they may want assurances (read, money) that your custom device will not beat the snot out of their towers with bad traffic. Unless you're doing many tens or hundreds of these things, you may see the money situation flip upseide down compared to standard SMS from an off-the-shelf SIM card.

But it's worth a look.

Dan - Owner

in the end there will be thousands of these devices and they send thousands of messages. right they use the sms protocol and just sending messages in the us is expensive, much moreso including international rates.

not to mention there seems to be a problem with tmobile and the mtn network in nigeria. (another reason im looking to bypass using sms and have everything communicating over the internet.)

EJ,

I think you're missing what I'm saying... SMS is merely a way for cell providers to use a bit of the unused data slots in their network, but in the end you're still using their cell network protocols to get data to a landline. There's no way around that if you wish to continue to use the cellular service. You can't go "directly" to the net using cellular, so you're going to pay to use their network and their bandwidth. If you want to bypass the cellular network, you'll need to set up some form of wireless network that you have control over, but considering you're talking about a country-wide coverage area, I don't see that as a viable option (there's a reason cell companies put billions of $s into infrastructure).

Dan - Owner

"You can't go 'directly' to the net using cellular..."

With Cellular-offshoots such as EDGE, HSPA 3G, etc. - you obviously can access the Internet 'directly' (by any reasonable definition of the word).

VE,

The point being, you're still accessing the cell network... you can't bypass them as that's the infrastructure you have access to. If T-Mobil is having issues with their infrastructure, there's not much he can do about it... if he needs higher reliability, he needs to find another infrastructure to access.

Dan - Owner

Do you really need to send international SMS messages?

I've worked with bi-directional cellular based sensors setup for North America. We used an "aggregrator" service - an intermediatery who received the SMS messages (just about) regardless of what carrier they came through, and forwarded these over the internet to our data servers.

I believe many of the larger aggregrators have some worldwide setups - you will have to check. If they do, then they will receive the SMS, probably within the country it originated, and then forward the information electronically to you. With this there would be no international phone fees associated.

Over what area coverage? You can obviously buy your own RF modems and build your own network, but I don't see that as a particularly viable approach, unless you're sending millions of messages, with at hundreds of thousands of users.

Do you have an unlimited usage dataplan, which usually runs about $80 per month? If you have access to Internet through the network, you can connect directly through a server and run your own virtula network over the Internet.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

Is your GPS/RFID device a custom design or something you bought commercially?

At a minimum I assume the cellular modem portion is a commercial device. In addition to talking with your cellular service provider you will need to check with the manufacturer of the cellular modem to see what protocols the device can communicate with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back