Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPS tolerances (ISO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nham

Mechanical
Mar 20, 2013
FI
I wonder how these new GDT things will be available in NX. Some posts exist in tolerancing section. I ask because I get an increasing amount of questions regarding this support in CAD.

Seems that global companies adapt these early. Some even want documentation that uses it. And I usually really insist on having this because of problems local standards cause in manufacturing and quality issues

I have not checked NX9 supporting this yet. Anyone know if GPS is there?

NH

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Standards would be Iso 14405 and iso 8015. I do not know all things in detail and all I know you rothers could be a real expert in these matters. I see lots os same symbols but the principal how to dimension things are different and more limited by use case.

But to me seems that there are changes and additions to certain "old" tolerancing principals. Lenght dimensioning and base element definitions in certain cases. Then again these are not bound in cad by any existing standard either.I mean you can freely have any text in a box after a measurement if you like.

To know exactly how to apply these new standards is not clear. In CAD designers perspective you should not expect or demand anything you are not able to define in your drawing. For younger generations that get bored in all literature and jungle of cross referenced international standards this is a problem. How to define something you have to dig info hours and hours from a standard which is a useless waste of time if you could have predefined set of suggestions from CAD. Again for senior guys adapting to change is also a challenge. When designing stuff globally and manufacturing those designs globally in many locations there are collisions in desings and reality after manufacturing for sure. Then it is alway a fight what has been described in the drawing.

That is why it is nice to have the concept of drafting standards and different ways to lock for example surface preparation symbols and dimensioning in many CAD locations to those same settings.

Now when there is a new collection of old renewed standards there is no smart way to govern ways to utilize these without some logic within cad. Geometric tolerancing standard set? Limit of using non GPS standard symbools in dimensions and GDT? Maybe it is still a part of engineering training than to have CAD suggest how to have your holes on the same axis based on some base element and settings coming from a site level standard file... PMI works a little towards this principle. Still many companies only focus on paper drawings because they have to.

Would be nice to have some day a governed "wizard" way of defining tolerances and base elements and other requirements. Cad could suggest the right way to tolerance. User could then refine this with preseledted attributes and symbols agains chosen standard.

NH

There is a better definition in english about GPS that cowski posted in thread561-353058
I missed this earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back