Grad School vs Work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwpeters8182

Bioengineer
Aug 17, 2005
US
Hello everyone,

I'm a recent Bioengineering graduate, who's currently enrolled in a PhD program. While I'm somewhat interested in my work, I can't see myself doing this for 4-5 more years, especially making my meager stipend living in Boston. I've recently started looking for jobs, with the intention of finishing up my master's and working. I don't plan on working in academia once my degree is completed.

Would it be worth it to "stick it out" for the 4 years to get a PhD?

Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How much time have you invested in your program?
How did you choose your program of study?
Would you consider switching advisors to a project that truly motivates you?
Why did you sign up for the PhD program in the first place? research? money? fear? family? This is probably the most important thing for you to answer for yourself. I recommend two books, "getting what you came for" and "I could do anything if I only knew what it was." They offer some insights that you might miss by only talking to people in your program.

sqrrl,

Thank you for your advice. I have only invested a year so far, and haven't really chosen a thesis project yet. I've decided to stay in school, as I feel that this will allow me the most independence and options, especially in this field. Thanks for the book recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out.

I'm going to search around between my department and the local hospitals to find something that I'll really enjoy doing, and talk to my advisor to see if we can work out an avenue that I'll be truly interested in.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back