Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grade 8.8 Shear Angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

apMechE

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2014
US
What would be the preferred groove (radius, v, or square the cross section) for inducing the stress concentration into a shear bolt?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is your shear bolt resisting a shear stress by being inserted into a bolt hole?

How many bolts do you have and what is their average tolerance between bolt holes?

Its a through hole with a nut and just this bolt will fail if a hinged assembly takes an impact, this bolt needs to shear to limit tearing the assembly up. So really its a mild arc that will shear the bolt. Right now I have the stress groove located in the slight gap between the two plates.

How much overload are you willing to accept?

Lawn and garden equipment manufacturers seem to have a variety of opinions.

I've busted a bunch of these when my snowblower eats rocks, pressure washer hoses etc.
The gears have not broken, yet, but the auger shafts are bent a bit.

The main drive is by belt off the engine, but if that slips, it does not slip enough to spare the shear pins.

Looks like most of those grooves are with a radius nosed tool, some v-grooved. I was just questioned whether shape of concentration had much of an affect on shear angle and couldn't remember all the specifics from materials and mechanics of materials or if it really mattered in this instance as long as my cross section was what matched my preferred fail load. Also inducing some heat and entering the center of a larger sized bolt, which might have a different crystal structure at its interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back