Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grade of Steel for Rollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanMark

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2011
US
Hello!
I am designing a rolling mill for cold reduction of non-ferrous metals, specifically phosphor bronzes with 8% tin or more. The mill will be a 2-Hi design with 24" of usable length on the rollers. Their thickness has yet to be determined, as does the material they will be made from. I think that 4140 would ideal, but I'm wondering if I could get away with 1045. Both are available locally. There also is a heat treating facility nearby, and I would like some opinions on case hardening of either alloy. I assume that machining of the rollers would need to be performed before heat treatment, and I'm concerned about warpage and distortion, the slightest of which could render the rollers unusable and unable to be re-machined due to hardness. Thanks for any advice!
Ryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you are right that you are better off to go with tool steel because 4140/1045 will suffer from quick wear. You can carburize them to get surface hardness up but still not a good idea because later you may want to grind them to another size. Also, you can do final machining after heat treatment to avoid distortion. I know it is hard but that is the way to do it. Tooling is expensive investment.

Ryan,

Neither 1045 nor 4140 is appropriate for this type of service. Proper cold work tool steels such as D2, A2, etc. are the standards to begin the selection process.

For large diameter rolls they are usually cast and of a tool steel like composition.
There is a chapter on this in an ASM handbook.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back