Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grading Control Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

runoff

Civil/Environmental
Apr 19, 2006
US
To anyone;

I am not that versed in the art of grading but we had an engineer that quit our firm. Anyway, we had a project that he did and the grading contractor is asking for the control points on the grading plan. I was asked to look at the layout and he specified spot elevations throughout the design. However, I do not see a referenced survey control points. Should I just have the grading contractor reference the original survey with that as the referenced control points?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The control points of the grading plan are the Bench Mark (BM) from the survey started surveying. Some times it is a relative altitude and some it is referred to the real altitude on earth. Other points of control the surveyor has to leave are more fix points that could not move along of the project for instance a block of concrete with a bronze plate on top, a slab concrete which won't be removed, a bridge, a tank, etc. Those points shall have their own elevation from the survey.

Go back to the original surveyor or the notes for the topogaphic survey. This is the best place look for control points. If that doesn't provide what you need then you will have to identify items on the ground that would have been accurately located and are recoverable, such as property markers, sidewalk corners, fire hydrants. Larger items such as manoles or inlets aren't as much use as there may not be an exact point that ws identified. If there is no dimensioned layout plan, then the person doing the staking needs to now the coordinates of the control points and the coordinates of the points to be staked.

Thanks everyone. I sent the surveyor back out there to get us a couple control points. He did not place an original benchmark on the survey and we just did not catch that. Anyway, the grading contractor will be meeting the surveyor there and hopefully it will not delay the construction but for few hours. Good thing it has been raining because that helps with delays and we will not get nailed with delay back charges.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back