Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graduate Course Workload

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancmm

Structural
Dec 4, 2009
US
Hi all,
I've recently decided to pursue a M.Eng degree in structural engineering through a distance learning program. Given that I'm currently employed and recently married, I'm trying to figure out if taking 2 graduate courses at once takes up too much effort and free time... On one hand, I'd like to finish the degree as soon as possible, but on the other I'm afraid that I'll be taking away from enjoying life if I bog myself down with too much schooling on top of work. Anybody had similar experience?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cancmm,

Check out this website on structural dynamics from the U of Michigan.

This guy has some course notes and homework solutions that were helpful for me when I was taking the class a year ago. Its always good to have supplementary material. Plus, it helped that this guy was following the Chopra book, which was what we used as our text.

Interestingly enough, when I was studying for the midterm I was looking at some of the homework problems this guy gave his students as an means of my studying. As luck would have it, my teacher must have found this site as well and he pulled an exact problem from one of this guy's homeworks and put it on our midterm. My friend and I gave each other huge grins whenever he passed out the tests and we saw that problem. Needless to say, I did very well on that problem. It felt like cheating, but I didn't do anything wrong, lol.

I took structural dynamics post grad too. Just make sure that in these courses, as the previous ones, you have the prerequisites done before you move higher. I was enrolled in one class by my advisor that assumed you knew how to use Boolean Transfers to solve problems. I did not find out until it was too late to drop the class that this was the case. Do your homework...

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back