Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grain direction of sheet steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_3

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2019
US
We have some sheets of S7 material and are unsure of the grain direction. Is there an industry standard which way the stencil lettering is oriented in relation to grain direction?

Please see the attached photo, where all the smaller sheets have a constant W width, and vary in the L length indicating they were cut to length along the L direction, so then the grain and the lettering reads along L.

However, the longer sheets underneath the smaller sheets have a constant L width, and vary in the W length indicating they were cut to length along the W direction, so then the grain and the lettering reads along W.

I supposed it's possible that someone cut all these from larger sheets with no regard to the grain, so then my question remains, is there an industry standard which way the stencil lettering is oriented in relation to grain direction?

Any insight is appreciated, and Thanks in advance...

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b218c879-10fe-434a-8ed0-28b92e824c9f&file=sheets.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

almost universally the stencil runs in the rolling direction.
If these are normalized or annealed it doesn't matter.
If they are as-cold-finished it will effect forming, the springback may be different.
Once final HT is done it has no impact.

The areospace (AMS) specs are the only ones that I know that address this.
Some alloys (Al and Ti) are much worse than others.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back