Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grand Canyon Skywalk Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

looks way different to the original description. this was described (and discussed here) as if the glass floor was the structural support for the visitors (gawkers?) ... two massive steel beams makes a lot more sense, tho' it'll detrack from the downward view.

Someone could have a field day comparing architectural renderings to the final, finished product.

It appears to cantilever a shorter distance... perhaps it is the depth of the beams that make it look more proportionate.

they look about 6' deep, about 5' apart ... i guess if you paint the internal sides sky blue (the external sides too) it won't look toooo bad

The beams look substantial, unlike the architect's rendering.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has a glass floor and glass handrail.

They're showing March 28 as the official opening day.

That last photo doesn't look like it's in the finished position yet. (If it is, it's a lot different from the initial sketches!) I find this on the update page:
"The historical rollout of The Skywalk structure, with the glass in place, is scheduled for February 27 to March 2. The initial part of the rollout process involves jacking the structure up off of the supports and then subjecting the structure to several days of thorough tests that replicate the conditions of final placement. After the final testing is complete, the multi-million pound steel enforced structure will be rolled out across the canyon’s edge, which takes multiple days. Immediately after the structure is in position, it will be seated and attached to the foundation. Details for a media event during the rollout will be revealed closer to the event."

Pictures of the structure being assembled on the ground have been posted for several months now.

P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back