Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

graphic card on notebook for catia v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

keppa

Aerospace
Dec 20, 2002
DE
Hi all
I am to buy a notebook, which should work ok with catia v5r7 and newer releases.
I am trying to understand which graphic card would fit to this purpose. I see that most of the newest notebook have graphic cards whith "shared" memory, UMA or system memory. Last year several notebook were with graphic card with dedicated memory until 64MB ddr.
Maybe the new cards with shared memory work very well with 3d applications like catia, too?
Can someone explain me and advise me a good card?

Ciao and thank you in advance.

Sergio.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,

for CATIA certified computer, have a look on

But I let you know I started learning CATIA R4 on my notebook(not certified)P3-400MHz 128 Mo ram, 32 Mo cards. I used it 12 months. (3.500 USD)

Carefull, as your licence works with your network card, don't use a internal one, have a good pcmcia (good factory) so you will keep your catia from one notebook to the other (the next one you will buy in 1 or 2 year).

Be sure you NEED a notebook, its expensive and you wont be able to change anything on it, within 1 year it will look old and very slow.

Think about the price you paid for catia !!! Would you spend that money for a software and not having a good computer to run it ?

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

I have use V5 on a laptop for two years now and find it works well on small to mid scale designs. I would not for example want to try to call up the entire design for an aircraft, ship, or a plant. The laptops I have use are the IBM ThinkPad A21p and A31p both are serving us well. At the spring COE (CATIA Operators Exchange) I will be involved in a presentation about portable computers and engieering design envirment. Hope to see you there!

Hi all again!

Thank You for Your opinion and your experiences.
My main worry is about graphic cards. As long I can see, my work on this laptop will be on small-medium products, it will be an extra job (evenings... weekends...), so I don't expect to work on a large scale models.
Are there big disadvantages on using the newest graphic cards with the UMA (shared) memory? As I see, most of the newest notebooks use it...

Thank again!
Sergio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back