Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphic Dust Control 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcopps

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2005
US
I am looking for a standard or for recommendations for controlling the dust when machining graphite. This could be expressed in air velocity capacity or some such. I have checked a few standards bodies and have found nothing on the point. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try an industrial ventilation handbook. Graphite dust can be controlled with ordinary industrial hygiene dry collection methods. In general, set your collection point as close to the dust source as possible. If the dust has an initial velocity, try to collect it downstream so you're not changing the direction of travel. If the operation is enclosed, a hood face velocity of around 100 fpm should be OK. In the open the collection velocity will depend on initial dust velocity geometry of the collection zone, hood design etc. A good industrial ventilation text will give you plenty of ideas. I have seen Torit dust collectors used effectively. Word to the wise, keep the dust out of your lungs (good advice for any dust) and keep it out of your electronics.

An important consideration in machining graphite is that there is a strong galvanic reaction between carbon and steel. Wet or moist graphite will rust your steel machine tools very rapidly. Otherwise the dust is handled just like any other.

Thinking further about your graphite situation, make sure you review your supplier's material safety data sheet for other things that may be in the graphite requiring stricter workplace exposure controls than necessary for graphite alone. An example that comes to mind immediately is the silica found in natural graphite. A good reference for your exhaust system design is the ACGIH Industrial Ventilation best practices handbook.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back