Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphical Properties 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcad

Automotive
Nov 7, 2006
CA
Hi all,

This has been a nightmare since working in R18... When we export data to our suppliers (STEP format), we usually assign a certain color to the areas that were changed from the previous version. Working in PartDesign, it's obviously very easy to assign a specific color to a whole feature (a body that was added, a fillet etc), as opposed to selecting the individual faces and change their color.

We use the 214iso protocol when exporting the STEP files, since it's supposed to preserve the original colors. This was working perfectly fine in R16... Now I end up almost every time with the whole geometry having new color...

Any suggestions (other than to color the individual faces, in which case I am getting what I need) ?...

Best regards,
Stely

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stely,
I dont have a problem with colour in R18SP8 and Step 214 iso. Did you delete your Catsettings (STEP.CATSettings), perhaps it shows 214 but is sending 203.

Derek

Derek,

I deleted the settings, redone the thing, same result...

It's not an iso203 problem, it is picking up colors, it's just that the color of a subtracted body is assigned to the whole resulting body after the step conversion.

I've uploaded a small file to illustrate what I mean. When I export this file as a step, the resulting body becomes fully yellow.

I'm using SP7, BN18 (10-09-2008), that could be my issue...

Best regards,
Stely

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=25550fd7-0f21-4cec-bb99-b6f7ed53e6bb&file=step_test.CATPart
I have the same result.... but when I look at what color is apply where I find that yellow is applied to Body.2

If I change Body.2 to automatic and Pocket.1 to yellow then I have the result you expect.

Also if I assemble an empty body.3 (default color) at the end of the tree and leave Body.2 yellow, then I have the result you want.

If I change that last empty body.3 to pink, then the result in step is full solid pink with pocket yellow.

Hope this help.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Very interesting... It seems that the color is somehow driven by the color of the last feature in the specification tree... I applied a split and colored it and I got the same result as you had by assembling the empty body... It's so weird, I didn't have to do so many workarounds back in R16 (my favourite version so far).

Well, this is obviously helpful, thank you Eric for spending the time on this.

Best regards,
Stely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back