Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics card problem. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesPaul82

Mechanical
Oct 3, 2003
CA
I am running SolidWorks 2004 with SP2. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My problem happens when I open an assemly the using the hierarchy tree to open a sub-assembly. The sub-assembly opens with no display. the actual parts are there because you can highlight the edges and rotate it but nothing can be seen. Now if I open a part from either this sub-assembly or the original assembly, the problem is fixed until I open another assembly file from the hierarchy tree. This is very weird and frustating. Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have the same problem with SW2003-0.0 and ATI Fire GL E1, whole parts just disappear if I load the same way as I pan the display. I've loaded the newest available video drivers, which are SW aproved. I was hoping SP5.1 would fix this, but sounds like not.

Alex

Of course, check the SW web site for best results.

I have a Quadro FX500 that works great. I don't normally exceed 100 parts in an assembly, but my parts are normally quite complex. The card does a great job, even with RealView--which as NickE suggested, makes the Shinies smile.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

This may be way off but I had the same issue with the same card but it was not the card at all. Check the solid body make sure that in the tree the item or items are not hiding the solid body.

I had the same problem with an ATI 9600Pro. Most bog-standard graphics cards, especially the ATI ones (with the exception of the 9000Pro) are not approved and/or certified by SW (check here ) and are known to have issues with SW (I used to be able to post links properly...dunno what I'm doing wrong now [ponder]). Since alexit got a proper CAD card, that is kinda scary because this one I think is approved by SW.
Anyhow, us other mortals who are fettling around on the the consumer end of graphics goodness need not necessary shell out copius amounts of dosh to reach these higher graphics ecchelons. Essentialy our boards have the the same chips under the hood as those over-prized-pixels-on-steroids cards and with the RivaTuner utility you can unlock all this glory without shelling out a dime. This process of soft-modding your ordinary retail card into a Quadro or FireGlide beasty is however not for the technophobial fainthearted...its free but therefore not plug'n play [peace].

"Gimme dat stickwelder, will yer lad. No need to get all fancy wid'those modern drills." Apprenticeship Lesson 61

I figured out the answer if anyone else has this problem. Whenever the model does not show up, just hit 'F5'. It's the refresh key just like in windows. Pretty simple. Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Sean Nutley
Carmanah Design and Manufacturing
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back