Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics Card / Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelconstructor

Industrial
Apr 5, 2005
US
I am building workstation to run Inventor 9 PRO, what is the best combination of hardware to run. I have reserched the certified graphics card list from Autodesk and know what requirements I must meet, but for a hardcore workstation what is the best combo. IE. Graphics / processor / motherboard / harddrive / display type , what works and what doesn't work would be great to Know before I start building the hopped-up workstation.I have gutted A 8 rackspace chassis with Liquid cooling from a piece of miltary gear for the project so space and heat are not an issue.Any input would be great thanks Herb.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I lost this link, but Sean re-posted.

Graphics card / processor / RAM in different workstations. Lots of time comparisons.

Many CAD people (me included) prefer the Nvidia cards, but it looks like they are getting some serious competition lately.

Personally, I would first spend money on RAM (2GB is a good starting point) then get a good graphics card (and you don't have to spend a huge amount, but get a CAD card). IMO CPU speed doesn't make a big difference. As always, keep the machine clean of all the stuff running in the background sucking up ram.

My PC runs models in excess of 55,000 parts. My spec is 3.4GHz, 2GB RAM, and a Quadra FX 500 graphics card. If you do decide to purchase more than 2GB of RAM remember windows will only allocate 2GB to aany one application at any one time. So buying alot more RAM than this is pointless unless you write a 3GB switch into you boot.ini file.
A good cheap trick for improving performance is to install two hard drives and run your OS on one and Inventor on the other. Any hardware problems I have incured have all stemmed from a shortage of RAM. So here is what a boot.ini file looks like with a 3GB switch Written into, see how it compares to your own.

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="XP full 3GB setting" /3GB /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="XP 2300" /3GB /USERVA=2300 /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="XP 2500" /3GB /USERVA=2500 /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="XP 2800" /3GB /USERVA=2800 /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back