Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab2010

Aerospace
Mar 21, 2014
US
Is there an option to fix the following issue I am having? When I create an object in NX 8.5, it seems to take a exorbitant amount of time to highlight. The size of the object does not seem to matter. If I create a simple cylindrical tube using a revolve, I have this issue. Every time the mouse cursor goes over the object, everything freezes for 5-10 seconds while it tries to highlight the object. The computer seems to be "thinking" quite hard and the appearance of the object slowly changes in sections repeatedly until the whole thing finally highlights. However it gets quite annoying. I created a sketch on a plane within the object and it literally takes a minute to simply make a line tangent to an edge...this should take 2 seconds. I finally had to hide the object so I could finish the sketch. I then created a revolve/subtract with the new sketch. It takes 2 or 3 minutes to complete that operation, which again should just take a couple seconds.

I am using the same computer where I used NX 6.5 and did not have these issues. Since I upgraded to 8.5 a few weeks ago, I have had this problem, but in the last week, the amount of time to highlight has gotten significantly longer. I don't think this is an issue with the graphics card because I am working on a fairly new computer. Is there an option within NX causing this? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Note that this must be configuration specific since I have no problems whatsoever using NX 8.5 and NX 9.0. In fact, it works consistently even when I'm running NX 5.0.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

This did appear to be an issue with the graphics card. Our IT people ran some updates to the driver software and that seemed to fix the issue.

I sent siemens a file and they reproduced it on their end

Brian Marchand-Die Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 / PDW
Dell Precision T7610 w/Xeon ES-2609
16G Ram - Nvidia Quadro K5000
Win 7 Pro x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back