Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

graphics in PROE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangmike

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2004
US
I have some graphics that I would like to put into PROE. It is a JPEG file and was wondering how I can make this work in PROE? Does anyone have any suggestions? It would be nice if I could easily change the JPEg to dxf.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use programs like Adobe Streamline, TraceART or the like to convert JPG to DXF.

See for a list of Shareware programs that could help you do this.

Now for the problem:

Pro/E does not like these DXF files one bit in a 3D model. They work just fine in drawing mode (i.e. Title Block logos, etc). But as soon as you try to import these files into a sketch, Intent Manager warns you that there are way too many entities to be dimensioned. If you do not heed this warning, Pro/E gets really mad at you and freezes your computer, or places enough dimensions on the screen to make you dizzy. Since the conversion is an approximation of the raster, its bound to create a lot of unfriendly geometry.

If it is to be ported to 3D (i.e. an embossed logo), your 2 best options are to try and make the logo as a sketch yourself (I know its crazy but it can be done), or try to track down the source of the JPG (i.e. graphic designer) and see if they have an original vector format (*.ai, *.eps) and ask them to at least export a DXF from Illustrator or whatever they use. You will still have a dimensioning nightmare but it will be a lot easier to manage than one that has been converted from a raster file.

Another possible solution: You can do this with ISDX, too.

If you are using WF2 (and have ISDX), you can use the Trace Sketch tool to place the JPEG on a datum plane. Position it appropriately, then select the plane as the active style plane.

Create planar curves which trace your logo. This is where you have to be careful: The endpoint of every new curve must be snapped to the very end of the previous curve. You can either snap it to the vertex directly, or snap it to the curve and drag it all the way to the end (btw: SHIFT snaps the point). If you don't do this, you will not be able to create a solid later on.

So now you have a style feature with a series of curves which have traced your JPG. Hide the JPG from the Trace sketch menu. Finish the style feature and start a new sketch on the same plane that you used for the style.

Choose the "use edge" tool and choose "Loop" as your option. Select the style curve and it should select all adjacent edges.

If all went well when you created the style, you should be able to select the sketch now, press extrude, and get a solid right away. If you see just a surface, the section isn't closed. If you see a surface that does some really wierd stuff (i.e, it doesn't know what side is what, when you see it, you'll know what I mean), it means that the start point of a curve is not at the end point of its previous curve.

This method allows you to also dynamically manipulate the shape in ISDX without all those annoying dimensions in sketcher. Creating it as a surface quilt with capped ends will allow you to manipulate it even further using the warp tool.

I don't have ISDX. I used the able vector to change the jpeg file into dxf. I then tried to bring this up in PROE but it was not even readable. I even used autocad and saved it as a different dxf than what able vector did. Same result. I tried the insert, object, create from file, but the picture was still terrible. I guess I could contact the graphic designer, but do you think that there will be much difference between the dxf I have made and the one they will make?

The original vector format should contain fewer entities, thus reducing the work that Intent Manager has to do. When converting the image, it is difficult for those program to determine what a straight line or an arc is, since there is a certain degree of error, so it usually ends up making a lot of splines. If you can export directly from an Illustrator file to a DXF, for example, you are bypassing the rastering step, and getting the exact vector information for the image.

You will still have a mess to import into Sketcher, but not as bad of a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back